QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

QRecall as replacement for TimeMachine? RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Judith Blair

I just purchased QRecall (v. 1.0.0.59) for backing up my iBook G4 (running OS 10.5.2) on an external firewire drive, because TimeMachine was spitting up errors once it got past 2 days of backups.

I have set up hourly capture, rolling merge (keeping 24 hourly, 1 daily, 1 weekly, and 1 monthly layers), daily compact, and daily verify actions for both my internal hard drive and an external drive that houses my music and photos.

My question/problem: the hourly capture of my internal drive takes about an hour, even after the first capture. Is this because i am using the drive at the same time it is being captured, or is there a setting somewhere that i have missed? The external music/photo drive only takes a minute (at the most) to do its subsequent captures.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Judy

P.S., i hope there is a way to make this run better, because i LOVE this software, even after less than 24 hours of use.
James Bucanek

Judith Blair wrote:My question/problem: the hourly capture of my internal drive takes about an hour, even after the first capture.
QRecall is reexamining every item on the entire volume to determine what has, and has not, changed. There are literally hundreds of thousands of files in the operating system, and every one has to be checked.

I suggest creating two captures: One that runs hourly (or semi-hourly) that captures only your Documents or home folder. There's little reason to recapture your entire operating system every hour. Have the second capture run once a day and capture your entire boot volume.

Time Machine avoids this problem by using something called "File System Events" which keeps track of which folders on a volume have recently changed.

A future version of QRecall will use this same facility to quickly determine what has, and has not, changed on the volume making large recapture actions substantially faster. (Sorry Tiger users, the FSEvents service was only made available to third-party developers in Leopard. QRecall will still have to do it "the hard way" in Tiger.)
[Email]
Judith Blair

James,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll take your advice and keep an eye out for that future version

Judy

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view