QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Ongoing (short) periodic back up RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
David Stevens

Can I create a backup of a specific folder every, say, 30 minutes. Sometimes when I'm working on certain files I "break" the file so that it no longer works. This could happen at any point during a working session, but the problem might not emerge until I've made several changes. It would be useful to capture the files every 30 minutes so that I can roll back to a working version of the file.
Actually, the best thing would be if QRecall monitored specific files/folders, and re-captured whenever a new version f the file/folder was saved.

Are either of these action possible currently?

thanks

David
David Stevens

Duh. Just found the period drop down menu in the schedule part of the New Action dialogue. So that answers the first part of the question. I'd still like t know what you think about monitoring specific groups of files for saved changes as a capture criteria.

David
James Bucanek

David Stevens wrote:I'd still like t know what you think about monitoring specific groups of files for saved changes as a capture criteria.
I think it's a great idea. It's been on the future features list for a while now.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
David Stevens

OH good. Hopefully it's moving rapidly up the queue

Another way to do it would be to have a particular action "turn on"only when the programme that creates the files is active and/or "in front", as you're only going to want to back up changes when you're working on something. Would that be an easier way to do this?
James Bucanek

David Stevens wrote:Another way to do it would be to have a particular action "turn on" only when the programme that creates the files is active and/or "in front", as you're only going to want to back up changes when you're working on something. Would that be an easier way to do this
Actually, capturing items while the application is active is the most problematic time to do so. Documents are often "in flux" or only partially written and capturing them at that point in time results in an invalid or incomplete copy of the actual document data.

Applications that write out the entire document at once (like most word processors and graphics applications) are safe to capture once written and would be best served by monitoring a folder for new items.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
David Stevens

James Bucanek wrote:
David Stevens wrote:

Applications that write out the entire document at once (like most word processors and graphics applications) are safe to capture once written and would be best served by monitoring a folder for new items.

Ok, that makes sense. I used to have a program that did this, and it saved my bacon after I'd made some changes to a software patch that totally broke the thing. Unfortunately, that particular app had a number of issues (it crashed every time I closed down the computer for one), so I don't use it any more. It'll be nice to be able to do this with QRecall.

thanks

David

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view