QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Cloud Backup Solution RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Bernd Stein

QRecall is great for doing local backups. I am wondering are there still plans to implement backing up to cloud storage, like Backblaze B2? This would make QRecall even better. I really like Backblaze B2 but I do not like the subpar software I have to use right now to backup to it.
James Bucanek

Bernd,

QRecall 3.0 (the next major release) will have new features that address cascading, cloud, and off-site backups. It also has a boatload of performance and reliability improvements.

We have no firm estimate of when it will be available, but look for beta tests to start sometime this fall.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jessie Reuben

James, could you provide more information about the future release of our lovely backup solution?

Making backups to the cloud server is very interesting. I hope a newer version will allows making backups to my own dedicated cloud machines? I don't want to see this wonderful software as part of the business model of the biggest hosting providers. I want to continue to have full control over the entire server. I wan to be sure that nobody will touch my backups. That's why we, users, want to be free to choose partners who will provide high-availability cloud. On the market have an army of small very reliable companies who can provide the best service. These companies are a much better choice than the marketing machines of the the biggest brands.
James Bucanek

Jessie,

The new backup model is a feature called "stacks". The idea is that QRecall will isolate all of the data that makes up an individual layer in the archive, which we're calling an archive "slice". You then periodically upload slices to a stack, making that stack an archive of your archive.

We plan on making the stacks as flexible as possible, both in terms of where they can be stored and how often they get updated. The stack can be as simple as a second hard drive, but it could also be on a local server, on a remote server, a pile of (re)writable DVDs, a folder in your cloud storage (Apple, Goggle, ...), DropBox, AWS S3, and maybe more.

We're toying with the idea of providing a managed network-based storage service available for a monthly fee, but the primary tools will always be available for you to decide, control, and manage your own stack(s).

We were hoping to get this in beta this fall, but Catalina has seriously disrupted our development schedule. Watch for a beta announcement on the forum or just check the download page on the website.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Chris Caouette

Sounds great! I'm also returning to QRecall after not using it for a long time. So glad to see you not making this abandon-ware since it is still one of the greatest backup solutions.

Lots of Macs here!
Simon Back

I have a problem with my backup, an error pops up ...
[WWW]

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view