QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Keeps asking for administrator name and password during initial assisted setup RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Rene Rasmussen

Just started trying QRecall. I followed the option for an assisted setup, which seemed to be pretty clear. At some point I could choose whether to pre-authorize QRecall, which I decided to do. Then entered admin name and password and clicked OK. Just took me back to the same screen of the setup, and clicking the Continue button brought back the same dialog about admin name and pw. Repeated, and couldn't get out of this loop until I changed my choise, to delay the decision. From then things progressed without problems (and QRecall is now working hard on 81Gb). Looks very promising! Thanks!
James Bucanek

I'm curious to learn if your QRecall installation was successfully pre-authorized. Open up the QRecall > Preferences... and in the Authorization tab, make sure it says "QRecall has been preauthorized to use administrative privileges when capturing and restoring items."

I'd also like to see your log file. If you are using the current beta, choose Help > Send Report... command. If you are using the release version, zip up the file ~/Library/Logs/QRecall/QRecall.log and either post it to the forum or send it directly to me.

Thanks

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Rene Rasmussen

In the preferences the button "Preauthorize..." is enabled (and it does not say anything about already being preauthorized). When I first posted about this, I was using the release version, later I updated to the beta.

In the beta, when I click Preauthorize under preferences, essentially the same thing happens: I enter admin name and password, but there are no signs that it has any effect.

I'll send you the log files by email (probably later once QRecall has completed its task).

Thanks!
James Bucanek

Rene Rasmussen wrote:In the preferences the button "Preauthorize..." is enabled
If you see the "Preauthorize..." button and you don't see the message I mentioned above, then QRecall is not being preauthorized.

The log will probably explain what's going wrong.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Rene,

The problem turns out to be the location of your user account's home folder. It appears to be on a separate volume.

Security changes made to Mac OS X now prohibit the running of privileged executables on external volumes. So even though you successfully authorized QRecall to run with administrative privileges, the operating system is still preventing it because your application support folder (~/Library/Application Support) is not on your boot volume (the volume containing /System).

I hope to address this limitation in a future version, but for now QRecall can only be pre-authorized to run with administrative privileges if the user's home volume is on the boot volume.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Rene Rasmussen

James,
You're absolutely right - my home directory is on a different (removable) drive. That explains. Thanks very much for the super-fast diagnosis and support.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view