QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Capture Failed - Internal Program Error (1.1.0.25) RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Steven M. Alper

I'm on my 3rd drive for QRecall backups. Had 3 drives fail within one month (not through anything QRecall did, I'm sure). So I was doing a whole new capture of my entire startup drive.

Attached is the most recent log. The capture began at 7:39 am.

Best,

Filename QRecall.log [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 604 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  771 time(s)

-- Steven M. Alper
James Bucanek

Steve,

This is a known bug, discovered about 8 hours after 1.1.0(25) was released.

QRecall has some overly zealous internal consistency checks that are causing the capture to fail if you have items with extended attributes that contain no data. QRecall (read "me")) just didn't expect that to happen.

1.1.0(26) was should handle zero-length extended attributes gracefully. You can download 1.1.0(26) (http://www.qrecall.com/release/QRecall_1.1.0b26.dmg) and give it a try now.

Usual rules for replacing a beta version by hand:

1) Download the 1.1.0(26) disk image http://www.qrecall.com/release/QRecall_1.1.0b26.dmg
2) Open your Applications folder
3) Drag the old QRecall to the trash
4) Open the disk image and drag the new QRecall into the Applications folder
5) Open the new QRecall in the Applications folder.

Please let me know if you have any problems. I've had one report of installation errors when upgrading manually from 1.1.0(25) to 1.1.0(26).

If you do have upgrade issues, try uninstalling QRecall (Hold down Shift+Option and choose QRecall > Quit and Uninstall). Then launch QRecall again, go to the Preferences, and reauthorize.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Steven M. Alper

Rerunning the capture with b26 and seem to have passed the point of difficulty. I'll know for sure in about 5 more hours

-- Steven M. Alper
Hannes Tiede

hey,

the capture-process keeps on breaking up. dont kwow by what its caused.
So i send you guys the logs. a crashreporter-log doesnt exist.

regards
Hannes
 Filename qrecall logs.zip [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 711 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  0 time(s)

James Bucanek

Hansen Teidee wrote:the capture-process keeps on breaking up. dont kwow by what its caused.
Hannes, thanks for posting your log files.

What I see are bunch of I/O and data integrity errors. This usually indicates one of three problems:

1) The volume the archive is has a corrupted directory structure.
2) The hard drive is losing data.
3) You have RAM or data transfer problems.

The first problem is easy to check and fix. Use Disk Utility to repair the volume. If problems are found, and fixed, then repair your QRecall archive and go back to taking backups. That's probably all it was.

The second and third problems are more difficult to isolate. I'm not aware of any utilities that will fill an entire drive with test data and then verify it. I've considered creating one myself. This is what you really need to detect problem 2.

There are a number of utilities that will perform RAM tests. TechTool Deluxe that is included with most AppleCare plans should be sufficient. The Integrity utility by Intech will do a good job of detecting data transfer or firmware problems between your computer and drive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view