QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Capturing open databases RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Mark Gerber

Some of the programs I use recommend their databases not be backed up while the program is running. Specifically, I'm thinking of DEVONthink Pro, PowerMail, and SOHO Organizer (which uses OpenBase).

Both DtPro and Organizer allow one to set the number of backups the application itself will keep, but I want to have another backup, preferably through QRecall, on another disk. And, of course, I'd like to capture these files a few times during the day. It's my impression the potential for damage is due to the fact that these databases needed to be closed before copying, otherwise an incomplete file will be written.

For this purpose, does QRecall do anything different in capturing quanta so I wouldn't have to be concerned about quitting the program to ensure a complete, undamaged capture?

Thanks.
By the way, I just found the screencasts on your home page. They are well done and present the information very clearly.
I look forward to seeing more, in particular, one that clarifies the rolling merge options.

Mark
James Bucanek

Mark Gerber wrote:Some of the programs I use recommend their databases not be backed up while the program is running. Specifically, I'm thinking of DEVONthink Pro, PowerMail, and SOHO Organizer (which uses OpenBase).
That's correct.

... And, of course, I'd like to capture these files a few times during the day. It's my impression the potential for damage is due to the fact that these databases needed to be closed before copying, otherwise an incomplete file will be written.
Also correct. This was discussed some time back in the "QRecall and CoreData" thread.

For this purpose, does QRecall do anything different in capturing quanta so I wouldn't have to be concerned about quitting the program to ensure a complete, undamaged capture?
Not at the moment, but I have plans to address this (and similar problems) in an upcoming release.

To specifically address the issue of databases, I'm planning a new filter option that will ignore a folder full of files if any of those files are currently open for modification (write access). The capture would always be "safe" in that the capture would only occur if all of the files are closed.

By the way, I just found the screencasts on your home page. They are well done and present the information very clearly.
I look forward to seeing more, in particular, one that clarifies the rolling merge options.
I wanted to do one for rolling merges too, but it needs some wickedly complicated animation and my Final Cut Express skills weren't up to it. If I get some time to extend the series, that will be the first one I attack.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Mark Gerber

James Bucanek wrote:Also correct. This was discussed some time back in the "QRecall and CoreData" thread.
Oops. Now I wonder if what you wrote is what I'm remembering. Should have searched the forums a little better than I did.

To specifically address the issue of databases, I'm planning a new filter option that will ignore a folder full of files if any of those files are currently open for modification (write access). The capture would always be "safe" in that the capture would only occur if all of the files are closed.
That would be a welcome solution. But until then it sounds as if I will have to exclude any file that might have an open database in a folder I intend to backup (I work at home, my hours aren't regular, and I don't know if I can be disciplined enough to quit those programs that might fall into this category).

Is there someplace a list of those applications using CoreData? Or am I perhaps being too paranoid about this problem?
James Bucanek

Mark Gerber wrote:But until then it sounds as if I will have to exclude any file that might have an open database in a folder I intend to backup (I work at home, my hours aren't regular, and I don't know if I can be disciplined enough to quit those programs that might fall into this category).
I would lean more towards ensuring that you get at least one good capture from time to time. One way of doing that would be to schedule a capture that occurs when you log out. Logging out would then guarantee a "clean" capture of all of your databases.

Is there someplace a list of those applications using CoreData?
I'm not aware of any.
Or am I perhaps being too paranoid about this problem?
Is that possible?

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view