QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Saving itens during editing, like Foreversave did RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
James Coffey

I used Foreversave for years but it hasn't been updated for a number of years and s real wonky under Catalina. What it did was every time I did a Control-S it saved a copy, so I could revert back to earlier versions if I messed up a document. You could specify what apps to enable it as well.

It looks like Event Schedules might do that, using captured item changes event and Application launches event. I have captured all my work documents, which are a lot. I was thinking setting up the captured item changes so it would capture the document I am working on when I save it.

I set the Archive to my archive, Selected a folder I want to have files captured, and scheduled it when captured item changes.

Do I understand how it works?

For Application launches event, I selected the desired folder and application. I assume this will result in archiving any changed document for the specified folder when the application is opened.

This seems to work. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
James Bucanek

James Coffey wrote:I set the Archive to my archive, Selected a folder I want to have files captured, and scheduled it when captured item changes.

That should do the trick. The event schedule will trigger when anything in that capture folder changes, which includes saving a new version of a document.

Do I understand how it works?

It appears you do.

For Application launches event, I selected the desired folder and application. I assume this will result in archiving any changed document for the specified folder when the application is opened.

That event will cause an action to run whenever an application is launched or quits. If you're interested in capturing documents, you would normally trigger the capture when the application quits, since it's assumed that all of your documents have been saved and are ready to capture.

This seems to work. Am I missing anything?

I will mention a caveat. The "capture when items change" event uses the macOS filesystem change event service to watch for any changes within any of the folders listed in the capture action. This requires installing one change monitor for each captured item.

But there are a limited number of monitors the system will allow an application to monitor at a time. No hard limit is specified in the documentation, but that limit is described simply as "a few."

I've have no problem monitoring five or six folders for changes at once. However, users have reported that trying to monitor dozens of different folders simultaneously does not work; macOS will simply ignore some of the requests. Just so you know.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Coffey

Thanks.

I will change from launch to exit.

I am monitoring 1 folder with nested sub folders so I will monitor the results to see if I have issues.
James Bucanek

James Coffey wrote:I am monitoring 1 folder with nested sub folders

That will require only one change monitor. It doesn't matter how many subfolders, or how deep, that folder hierarchy is. It could contain thousands of subfolders, macOS doesn't care.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view