QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

A couple of random questions RSS feed
Forum Index » General
maxbraketorque

1) I decided to break out each of my four external drives into their own automated QR archive using the QR Assistant. If I want all four archive backups to run back-to-back, can I set their action times to all be say 15 minutes apart, e.g., start actions for backup1 at 8pm, actions for backup2 at 8:10 pm, etc? Will sets of actions for each archive run serially with sets of actions from other archives, or will each set of actions run in parallel if the prior set of actions for the archive before it haven't finished?

2) When I was first experimenting with using QR, I created a few archives that I subsequently manually renamed and then subsequently deleted. Some actions for these deleted archives seem to be persisting in the QR monitor window. How do I find and remove these actions?
James Bucanek

maxbraketorque wrote:1) I decided to break out each of my four external drives into their own automated QR archive using the QR Assistant. If I want all four archive backups to run back-to-back, can I set their action times to all be say 15 minutes apart, e.g., start actions for backup1 at 8pm, actions for backup2 at 8:10 pm, etc? Will sets of actions for each archive run serially with sets of actions from other archives, or will each set of actions run in parallel if the prior set of actions for the archive before it haven't finished?

Overlapping actions that modify an archive will run sequentially (only one action can be modifying an archive at a time). Overlapping actions that just read an archive (recall, verify) and actions on other archives will all run concurrently.

If that introduces performance or resource issues there are two settings in the QRecall Scheduler preferences that can help:

Maximum concurrent actions and Maximum actions per volume.

If you set Maximum concurrent actions to 1, only one scheduled action will run at a time.

(*)These have no effect on commands initiated from the UI or the command-line.

2) When I was first experimenting with using QR, I created a few archives that I subsequently manually renamed and then subsequently deleted. Some actions for these deleted archives seem to be persisting in the QR monitor window. How do I find and remove these actions?

Open the Window > Actions window and find the actions that no longer have archives. Select them. Delete them.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
maxbraketorque

James Bucanek wrote:
maxbraketorque wrote:1) I decided to break out each of my four external drives into their own automated QR archive using the QR Assistant. If I want all four archive backups to run back-to-back, can I set their action times to all be say 15 minutes apart, e.g., start actions for backup1 at 8pm, actions for backup2 at 8:10 pm, etc? Will sets of actions for each archive run serially with sets of actions from other archives, or will each set of actions run in parallel if the prior set of actions for the archive before it haven't finished?

Overlapping actions that modify an archive will run sequentially (only one action can be modifying an archive at a time). Overlapping actions that just read an archive (recall, verify) and actions on other archives will all run concurrently.

If that introduces performance or resource issues there are two settings in the QRecall Scheduler preferences that can help:

Maximum concurrent actions and Maximum actions per volume.

If you set Maximum concurrent actions to 1, only one scheduled action will run at a time.

(*)These have no effect on commands initiated from the UI or the command-line.

Open the Window > Actions window and find the actions that no longer have archives. Select them. Delete them.

Thanks on the answer to the first question.

For the second question, there are no orphaned actions listed in the Actions window.
James Bucanek

maxbraketorque wrote:For the second question, there are no orphaned actions listed in the Actions window.

Oh, I think you might be referring to the Status window, not the actions or activity window.

The Status window shows the state of all known, and previously known, archives. To make QRecall forget about the status of an archive, click on the action (gear) button, or Right/Control-click anywhere in that pane, then choose Forget.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
maxbraketorque

James Bucanek wrote:
maxbraketorque wrote:For the second question, there are no orphaned actions listed in the Actions window.

Oh, I think you might be referring to the Status window, not the actions or activity window.

The Status window shows the state of all known, and previously known, archives. To make QRecall forget about the status of an archive, click on the action (gear) button, or Right/Control-click anywhere in that pane, then choose Forget.

Definitely was Window->Actions that I reviewed. All the actions listed are associated with existing archives. However, QR Monitor continues to show an action that is not present in the QR app Window->Actions window.
James Bucanek

Is it an action that's running? (Or one that has stopped with an error?) The activity window only shows the progress of running actions, the results of failed ones, and the next scheduled action. Deleting an action document, archive, etc. won't affect the display of a process that's already started/finished.

If you think it's cosmetic issue, you can try restarting the monitor (Quit/SIGTERM the QRecall Monitor process).

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
maxbraketorque

Check out the attached image. The one with dark gray background is non-existent in the Actions window. I've tried restarting QR Monitor several times. Restarting got rid of it once, but then it came back.
  • [Thumb - non-existent action.png]
 Filename non-existent action.png [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  877 time(s)

James Bucanek

That's the "next action" from the scheduler. You could try restarting the scheduler, but it should (eventually) just go away.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
maxbraketorque

Restarting the computer took care of it.

Overall, QRecall is working well for my backups. Its a little slower than I'd like, but it gets through 20 GB of changes and additions in about 3-4 hrs which is tolerable, and my impression is that the integrity of a QR archive is unbeatable, so seems worth the length of time for the backup to occur.

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view