QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Question about .quanta files and rsync RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Steve Mayer

Hello,

I've been implementing a backup of 1 NAS to another using rsync and I notice that if I attempt to open a .quanta file backup that has been backed up using rsync, it appears as damaged and is unusable within QRecall.

What would be the preferred method of backing up a .quanta file? Just to recopy the entire file each time?

Thanks,

Steve
James Bucanek

Steve Mayer wrote:I've been implementing a backup of 1 NAS to another using rsync and I notice that if I attempt to open a .quanta file backup that has been backed up using rsync, it appears as damaged and is unusable within QRecall.

I'm surprised, I would have expected that to work.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two potential problems. First, I assume that you are using volume formats and a version of rsync that deals with 4GB and larger files. Secondly, the archive can't be updated or changed while the synchronization (or copy) process is working. The individual index files in a .quanta archive all contain revision signatures that must agree. If some are copied before an update, and others after an update, they wont' agree and the archive will appear to be damaged.

However ... If this is two NAS drives, then I assume the rsync process is running on a third system, not on the NAS device itself. Rsync is optimal when it has fast access to a local volume but a slow (relative to the drive) network connection to another remote rsync process. Running rsync using two volumes both connected via a network is actually less efficient than just copying the files.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Steve Mayer

James,

I may have been too quick on the trigger. appearantly the backup job was still going on when this was attempted and it's possible that as the rsync process wasn't complete, the .quanta might have been in a strange state.

I'll post my complete findings after I've verified that the backup jobs are in fact not running at the time...
Steve Mayer

Yep. Disregard this. The rsync was still going on at the time I was looking at these. Just verified that the rsync job is complete and I was able to open up all the .quanta on this backup NAS just fine.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Steve

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view