QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Question about doing a full restore. RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Chris Caouette

I haven't tried this yet, but if I have a HD failure, can I restore the Qrecall archive to a new blank drive a be able to boot from it or do I need to install the basic OS first?

Thanks
Chris

Lots of Macs here!
James Bucanek

Chris Caouette wrote:Can I restore the Qrecall archive to a new blank drive a be able to boot from it or do I need to install the basic OS first?

Either, as long as you're restoring from the same generation of Mac OS X. Changes in the filesystem make it impossible to restore a Leopard system using Tiger, or a Snow Leopard system using Leopard.

My recommended backup strategy is to install a minimal copy of your current OS on a bootable external drive. Strip off everything you don't need (apps, languages, printers, etc), install QRecall, and then use that drive to store your QRecall archives.

If disaster should strike your startup drive, boot from the external and restore your startup volume.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Chris Caouette

Thanks James. I have a USB flash drive that I use for that purpose, but I'll need to get it to Snow Leopard. I was just making sure that all the invisible files
that make the drive bootable are stored in the Qrecall archive.
Thanks
Chris

Lots of Macs here!

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view