QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

What should my rolling merge settings be if... RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Chris Caouette

I do hourly backups and want to keep the last 24 hours, then those would get merged to a single layer for the day and kept for 14 days.
Thanks
Chris

PS: I did a test full recovery to a temporary partition and it booted flawlessly!

Lots of Macs here!
James Bucanek

Chris Caouette wrote:I do hourly backups and want to keep the last 24 hours, then those would get merged to a single layer for the day and kept for 14 days.

Create a rolling merge action that:

• Keeps most recent 1 day

• 14 Day layers

• After that, what you keep, how often, and how long is up to you.

The "Keep most recent" setting basically ignores any layers created in that time period. So keeping 1 day will leave your last 24 hour's worth of captures alone.[*]

The "14 day layers" create 14 one-day time periods following what you keep. All of the layers within each time period (day) are then merged into a single layer, keeping only the last version of each file.

The logic repeats using successive periods of weeks, months, and years.

PS: I did a test full recovery to a temporary partition and it booted flawlessly!

Always good to know.

[*] Footnote: The rolling merge time periods are always calculated relative to midnight the morning of the day you run the merge (i.e. 00:00:01). So running a merge at 1:00 AM and 11:59 PM has the same effect. It also implies that any captures done between midnight and now are always ignored, since the ignore period always starts at the last midnight.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]

Forum Index » General
    Go to:   
    Mobile view