QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

FileVault and Qrecall RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Nico Dudek

Hi James,
First of all I hope you are healthy!
I have A question:
Changing to MacOS Catalina I would like to use
FileVault 2 AND Qrecall on my iMac. How can I accomplish this?
I know this question was discussed earlier and
you were advicing not to use both together. What about today?
I really would like to ist FV for security reasons...

Thanks for your answer in advance

Nicolaj
James Bucanek

Everyone safe and healthy here! I hope everyone else reading this is too.

FileVault and QRecall play just fine together ... now.

In the very early days of OS X, FileVault was implemented as a special mount point, backed by a hidden disk image file that handed the encryption. This complicated things in numerous ways for QRecall. First, QRecall captures volumes, and your home folder was now on a different volume. You couldn't capture files for another user if they weren't logged in. And if you restored your files, FileVault might make them all disappear when you logged in again. *sigh*

Mac OS X Lion (10.7) introduced FileVault 2 (officially known as "FileVault," with the earlier version being referred to as "Legacy FileVault"). FileVault 2 encrypts the entire volume at the block level and is completely transparent to the filesystem and QRecall.

If you want the same level of protection for your QRecall archive, you can enable encryption. (Make sure you make a backup copy of your encryption keys and keep them safe.)

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Nico Dudek

Top Customer support!
Thanks a lot James

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view