QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Identity Keys and Multiple Computers RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Daniel Newman

So far in my testing QRecall seems to be a fantastic and flexible backup Program.
I am seriously considering to purchase and use it for backing up a small office, which includes of 2 main computers and a server.
They are all backed up onto an external drive connected to the server computer. QRecall runs on the server computer backing up the all 3 computers via the internal network, on to one archive.

I am confused in the respect of the identity keys. As I understand I require 3 keys, one for each computer. However, how do I use 3 keys?
I can only see place for one Key?

Do I need to have 3 copies of QRecall running? That seems unnecessary, when one copy on the server computer seems to do a great job capturing all 3 computers.

Cheers
Daniel

James Bucanek

Daniel Newman wrote:So far in my testing QRecall seems to be a fantastic and flexible backup Program.
I am seriously considering to purchase and use it for backing up a small office, which includes of 2 main computers and a server.

Daniel,

You do need three keys, if you want to capture all three computers (two main and one server) to the same archive. Install one key on each computer.

Every item captured in an archive belongs an owner. An identity key identifies the owner. To see the owners in an archive, open an archive and choose View > Show Owners and Volumes.

Let's say you install three different identity keys on three computers and name them "A", "B", and "Server." When computer A adds its files to the archive, they appear in the archive under owner "A". Similarly, the same files captured using the server appear in the archive under owner "Server."

An identity key uniquely identifies an owner and is used to "tag" the ownership of every captured item. You can change the name of an identity (QRecall > Preferences > Identity Key). Its name will change in the archive, but it's still the same identity/owner and any items captured using that identity key still belong to that owner.

You only need an identity key to capture items. If the server isn't capturing its own files (just hosting the archive file and running maintenance actions), it doesn't need to have an identity key.

Tip: If you're using the Capture Assistent to set up your actions, delete the merge and compact actions created for the two networked computers. Those two only need capture actions. If they are all sharing the same archive, only one computer needs to be performing the regular maintenance (merge and capture) actions, and the one directly connected to the drive containing the archive is the most efficient.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Daniel Newman

Thanks for your reply. So basically I need to install QRecall on each computer then. The backups go into one archive, but segmented by different owners (i.e. each computer) and the backups instigated by each computer individually. Is this correct? So there is no real network clients or cannot be instigated by one computer/server only?

Cheers
Daniel
James Bucanek

Daniel Newman wrote:Thanks for your reply. So basically I need to install QRecall on each computer then. The backups go into one archive, but segmented by different owners (i.e. each computer) and the backups instigated by each computer individually. Is this correct?

Perfect.

So there is no real network clients or cannot be instigated by one computer/server only?

Not in the current version. The current version shares archives via file sharing. There's no "backup server" in the traditional sense.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view