QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Restore?? Migration?? What...How... + QR upgrades RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Rex Carlson

Hello.

QUESTION 1 out of 2: Restore?? Migration?? what...how

I've searched the forums but I don't know the fancy lingo used here so I am completely lost. I really need help in basic newbie terms and language with step by step directions.

I have a 13" Macbook. I also have an external hard drive ...everything backed up in one/1 QR archive. "Everything" includes my system (10.5., apps, documents ...you name it, it's in there.

My old intenal HD died; I just installed a new one. Also installed OSX 10.5 with original discs.
Now what? Exactly how do I get everything from the archive back into my computer just like it was. If I just grab the cube from my external drive to the new internal drive, I'll just end up with the same cube on my laptop. I need everything back the way it was, not a cube just sitting there that I have to access every time via QR.

QUESTION 2 out of 2: Are there unlimited free QR upgrades?

I have QE Version 1.1. I can't remember whether downloading/installing future updates was included with my original $40 identity key or not. As a result, I've never updated it, fearing that I might lose access to the entire app.

MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY thanks, in advance!!

James Bucanek

Rex Carlson wrote:Hello.

Hello,

I guess you didn't get my direct reply via e-mail.

My old intenal HD died; I just installed a new one. Also installed OSX 10.5 with original discs.
Now what? Exactly how do I get everything from the archive back into my computer just like it was. If I just grab the cube from my external drive to the new internal drive, I'll just end up with the same cube on my laptop. I need everything back the way it was, not a cube just sitting there that I have to access every time via QR.

What you want to do is restore your entire hard drive from the QRecall archive. This assumes that you set up QRecall to capture the entire volume, and not just pieces (restoring pieces of a drive won't usually result in a bootable volume).

Here's what you need to do:

1. Install 10.5 on your new laptop. You've already done that, so that's cool.
2. Install QRecall. You don't need an identity key to recall/restore.
3. Open your archive. Make sure the Owners and Volumes drawer is visible (see the View menu).
4. Select the captured volume from your old hard drive.
5. While holding down the option key, select Archive > Restore To...
6. Choose your new hard drive from the list.
7. Authorize QRecall to use administrative privileges when restoring the volume (this is a must to restore the OS).

QRecall will now overwrite your entire hard drive with the contents of your old drive, exactly as it was when you last captured it. Since QRecall is overwriting your operating system, applications, and just about everything else, I suggest that you do not attempt to run any applications or do anything with the system until the restore is finished. When it does finish, immediately restart your computer.

Are there unlimited free QR upgrades?

Yes. All versions of QRecall are compatible with any permanent identity key that you've been issued. That's why they're called permanent keys.

I have no plans to alter this arrangement for the immediate future. If some future version of QRecall won't work with older identity keys, you'll be given plenty of warning. I recommend configuring QRecall to automatically check for updates, and updating QRecall whenever new versions become available.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view