QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Recommended file splitter RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Damian Huxtable

Hello.

I was hoping to use MS Skydrive to save an off-site copy of my QRecall archives, but it has a Skydrive has a 50MB per file upload limit (sigh).

Can you recommend a good file splitter for Snow Leopard? Or a better workaround?

Thanks

Damian
James Bucanek

Damian Huxtable wrote:Can you recommend a good file splitter for Snow Leopard?

I haven't used the lastest version, but I was always impressed with StuffIt Deluxe's segmented archive feature. Check out StuffIt Deluxe 2011 for a "Mac" solution.

Or a better workaround?

The ever awkward 'split' command-line tool still works its magic. If you don't expect to read the split archive regularly (if ever), you don't need to make a copy of the entire archive, just the 'repository.data' file inside the archive package. So something like
split -b 49m /Path/to/archive/MyArchive.quanta/repository.data /Volumes/OffSiteVolume/OffsiteArchive.data.

This command will write the important portion of MyArchive to a series of 49MB files starting with OffsiteArchive.data.aa, followed by .ab, .ac, and so on.

To recover the offsite copy, reassemble the OffsiteArchive.data.XX files back into a single repository.data file (cat .../OffsiteArchive.data.* > .../MyArchive.quanta/repository.data) inside any .quanta directory. Then launch QRecall and tell it to reindex the archive. QRecall will reconstruct all of the auxiallary index files from the master repository.data file.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Damian Huxtable

Thanks James, I will try both those things out. I recommend Qrecall whenever I can partly because of your fast help responses.

Looking forward to 1.2

Damian

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view