QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Scheduled Capture on Event... RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Gary K. Griffey

James,

I have setup a scheduled Capture to launch based on an event. The event is "Archive Volume Connects"...in this case an external FireWire drive.

When I connect the archive volume...it mounts to the mac normally...but the QRecall scheduler does not kick-off the capture as expected.

Any ideas? The mount event is listed in the QRecall Console log...but no action is taken.

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:When I connect the archive volume...it mounts to the mac normally...but the QRecall scheduler does not kick-off the capture as expected.

First, make sure that QRecall knows which archive it's supposed to be tracking. You can do this by simply opening the action, reselecting the archive, and save it again. You can double check that it's got the right archive by running the action manually.

Also make sure you don't have any other schedule conditions that might interfere (such as "Ignore between x and x").

If that doesn't make any difference, send a diagnostic report. The QRecall log records when volumes are mounted and unmounted, and what actions should be run, were run, weren't run, and why.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Report sent.
Gary K. Griffey

James,

I rebooted my system...the first restart since creating the new scheduled entry...and now it appears to work...

So...I am not exactly sure what is going on here...is a restart required after creating a new scheduled task based on an event?
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:James,
So...I am not exactly sure what is going on here...

That makes two of us.

is a restart required after creating a new scheduled task based on an event?

No, it shouldn't require a restart.

I suspect that it might be related to the inter-process communications problems that's occurring with the activity window in Lion. It's actually the activity monitor process that detects when a volume has been mounted. It then alerts the scheduler of that via a message. If the scheduler isn't getting the message for some reason, that would explain this problem. But that's not obvious from the log.

Please send another diagnostic report so I can compare the sequence of events when it worked and when it didn't.

Thanks.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Ok...report #2 sent...
James Bucanek

Thank you Gary, and everyone else who sent a diagnostic report about this and similar issues.

I think I found the problem. It was a bug in QRecall that worked in Leopard and Snow Leopard because of another bug in Mac OS X. Apple fixed the bug in Lion, which exposed the bug in QRecall.

Anyway, if I did everything correctly the fix should solve the problem of actions not appearing in the activity window and volume mount/unmount events not triggering actions. The fix will appear in the next beta release of QRecall (hopefully sometime later this week).

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James,

Thanks for the update...

I am looking forward to the new beta...as I believe this was the last remaining issue on 10.7 for me...

Thanks again for the quick turnaround!

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view