QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Capture Error to SMB Share... RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Gary K. Griffey

James,

I ran into an issue this morning performing a capture to a network share. The capture bombs right at the end...with a "Cannot convert FSRef to path" error.

I I repair the archive...and move it to a local SATA drive...the same capture works fine...it just fails when the archive is located on the SMB share. I have sent a report...

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary,

Thanks for the feedback and the diagnostic report. From the log you uploaded, I can sort of tell what happened, but I can't tell you what went wrong.

When the archive was closing, QRecall wanted to write a new file to the package. Attempting to create and open this file failed. I don't know exactly how it failed, because the next thing that happened is QRecall tried to log the error and path to the file that couldn't be created, but that failed because archive package folder suddenly couldn't be found ... which is ridiculous, since you were just capturing to it. Anyway, this second failure threw another error, which is what eventually got logged.

So, I can't offer a good reason why QRecall was unable to create that file, and without the exact error code it's just guesswork. If I had to guess, I'd say the volume was completely full (unlikely) or something random happened with communications that caused the volume to be temporarily unavailable (more likely).

What I did do was modify the logging code so if something like this happens in the future, the code that logs what went wrong won't, itself, become the source of the problem.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James,

Thanks for the update. I attempted the same capture again today...and this time it worked....very odd.

The volume does have plenty of space available...so...I think your "more likely" scenario is probably correct.

Thanks,

GKG
Gary K. Griffey

I guess I spoke too soon...the capture is once again failing...
James Bucanek

Would it be possible to simply hold off from using that archive for a few days?

I should have another beta ready soon, and it would include the fix I just mentioned which would correctly log the root cause of the problem. That would be much more informative.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Yes...absolutely...

I will move the repaired archive back to a local drive for now...

As after the new beta arrives...I will move it back and try it again with the new enhanced logging...

Thanks,

GKG
Gary K. Griffey

Greetings James,

Any timeframe on the new beta release that you mentioned in this thread?

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:Any timeframe on the new beta release that you mentioned in this thread?

Ah, the plans of mice and men.

I originally planned to have the next beta release out over a week ago, but I ran into complications reworking a critical section of the code that captures a file's metadata, that I would really like to release. To slow things down even more, I was attending Audodesk University this week and just today got back to development.

So to answer your question: This weekend, I swear!

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

I guess you ran into more issues?

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:I guess you ran into more issues?

Several, but most have been dealt with.

QRecall 1.2.0(54) beta is now available.

James Bucanek wrote:This weekend, I swear!

I'm sure it's still the weekend ... somewhere.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Thanks!!!
Gary K. Griffey

New Beta 54...running on Lion 10.7.2....
Installed new beta...rebooted system...launched QRecall....opened Action Window...launched a task...Action Window does not change to "Running"...Status monitor shows nothing...but a check of the QRecall log shows the task was submitted...repeated this 3 more times. Kick off a task...the Action window shows nothing is happening...the status monitor also shows nothing....but task is actually submitted.

Report sent...

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary,

I can see that it's not working, but I can't see why. (I'm not seeing the problem here, and my system is configured the same as yours.)

There's obviously something a little strange going on. During the QRecall upgrade, both the scheduler and monitor processes were replaced. But for some reason, the monitor stopped and didn't restart again until later. When it did finally start, the notifications it's supposed to receive when an action starts are never delivered.

Try restarting your entire system again (don't just log out and back in) and see if that makes any difference. Also look in the Console application and see if there are any messages from, or about, QRecall logged around 10:07.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James...

I looked around a bit...and discovered that in the QRecall preferences...the Monitor tab's checkboxes had all been reset to "not" selected. I selected the ones I normally use...rebooted....and now QRecall seems to be working as expected.

Let me see if I can recreate the error.
Gary K. Griffey

James,

Ok...I have rebooted my systems several times...and then launched QRecall...

The preferences are now Ok...i.e., they remain as they were set before...and I cannot recreate the oddity from earlier...it seems to be working fine now. Possibly, some issue during the installation of the new beta...I do not know..

If I see any other issues...I will let you know...

Thanks,

GKG

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view