QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Newbie Advice RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Paul Sheraton

I have not really used Recall much. However I have a little Windows Micro PC that I was going to sell on Ebay. However thought maybe I can use it as a little Recall backup server for my MacBook. Would this even be possible ?

I don't really see any kind of user guides for QRecall in general.
James Bucanek

The manual for QRecall is bundled in the application. Download it, install it, and chose Help > QRecall Help.

There's also a fairly recent copy of the manual on-line.

As long as you can mount the storage for your Micro PC as a volume on the Mac, QRecall should work.

While QRecall is focused on capturing and restoring macOS native filesystems, the archive can be stored on any volume that can be mounted on macOS, which includes networked servers, NAS devices, thumb drives and more. Not every filesystem is supported (because some are flawed), but that's the goal.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Paul Sheraton

will qRecall do a backup and restore my whole MacOS including all settings and configurations? (like TimeMachine does). If not I have bought the wrong software.
Also why doesn't this forum use SSL ?
James Bucanek

Paul Sheraton wrote:will qRecall do a backup and restore my whole MacOS including all settings and configurations? (like TimeMachine does).

Absolutely.

QRecall lets you choose exactly how much you capture. This can include (or exclude) all of your user and/or system settings.

If you capture the entire volume, all modifiable system files along with all users, their documents and preferences will be captured.

Modern macOS (10.15 "Catalina" and later) installations add a little bit of a wrinkle to this. A macOS startup volume is now two volumes: an immutable image of the macOS system software called the "System" volume, and a companion mutable volume called the "Data" volume which stores all of your user data and everything that's modifiable.

When you capture a startup volume, QRecall actually captures just the "Data" volume. The "System" volume is cryptographically signed by Apple and only be restored by the Apple installer. So there's no point in capturing it, or trying to restore it.

To recover a startup volume, create a new APFS volume, restore the captured volume using QRecall (it will now contain just the "Data" portion), and then install macOS on that volume using the macOS installer (which can be done directly from the Internet using recovery mode). The installer will split the volume, install the "System" volume, and make the whole thing bootable again.

Also why doesn't this forum use SSL ?

This is because our server was designed and engineered long before HTTS became common/ubiquitous/preferred/required. We're in the process of transitioning to a new set of servers this year, so the website, forums, diagnostic report tracking, accounts management, and sales will all be running over HTTS.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Steven Haver

James Bucanek wrote:
This is because our server was designed and engineered long before HTTS became common/ubiquitous/preferred/required. We're in the process of transitioning to a new set of servers this year, so the website, forums, diagnostic report tracking, accounts management, and sales will all be running over HTTS.

I?m glad to hear this as I have wondered the same thing in the past. One of my browsers won?t even load QRecall.com and at first I thought it had gone offline until I realized what was going on.
jack mortain

As I am also new here I also need advice or you can say I want to know something about Qrecall.

So what if the macOS backup that is stored in Qrecall is somehow damaged or corrupted, is there any way to recover it?

Thanks

Jack Mortain gb whatsapp
LeviTaylor

Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding qRecall's backup capabilities.

Regarding the forum's transition to HTTPS, when can users expect this transition to be completed, ensuring a more secure browsing experience for all?

Hi, I am Levi GB WhatsApp
[WWW]
James Bucanek

LeviTaylor wrote:Regarding the forum's transition to HTTPS, when can users expect this transition to be completed, ensuring a more secure browsing experience for all?

It's already finished.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view