QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

update hiccup RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Johannes

When updating to Version 1.2.0(57/58) I first noticed that the new status window does not come up when selecting Window>Status. The menu bar item also did not contain an entry "Status Window". I was busy so I did no further investigation or reporting.
After a few days I noticed a couple of entries in the log:

"Scheduler version mismatched" 

"Administrative privileges have not been pre-authorized"
"Action could not be started > No suitable helper installed"

I found the reason in this message:
QRecall	2012-02-14 15:38:51	Failure	Cannot create support folder 

QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 Folder: /Library/Application Support/QRecall
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 Enclosing folder: /Library/Application Support
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileOwnerAccountID: 0
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileSystemFileNumber: 4356105
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileExtensionHidden: 0
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileSystemNumber: 234881026
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileSize: 1904
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID: 80
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileOwnerAccountName: root
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileCreationDate: 2011-08-10 04:30:34 +0000
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFilePosixPermissions: 493
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileType: NSFileTypeDirectory
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName: admin
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileReferenceCount: 56
QRecall 2012-02-14 15:38:51 NSFileModificationDate: 2012-01-31 16:01:52 +0000

After copying the contents of ~/Library/Application Support/QRecall to /Library/Application Support/QRecall everything seems to work fine again. So the whole report is meant to let you know that there was some issue.

I'm using OS 10.7.2. My home folder is on a separate volume on the same disk as the boot volume. Not sure whether this is related to this thread: http://forums.qrecall.com/posts/list/375.page. But in my case I had no problem prior to 1.2.0(57/58).

Hope this makes some sense to you.

Johannes

James Bucanek

Johannes,

First, please send a diagnostic report. I'd like to look at the whole log.

The "problem" is that your helper isn't pre-authorized to run using administrative privileges. This was obviously intentional, since prior to 1.2.0(58) it wasn't possible to have a pre-authorized helper installed in a home folder that was on another volume. This is causing two issues.

The first is that 1.2.0(58) is now trying create a new subfolder in /Library so it can store its pre-authorized helper on your startup volume—but it can't, because it's not pre-authorized.

The second, far more serious, problem is that your scheduler is the wrong version. My guess is that you pre-authorized QRecall to use administrative privileges at some point in the past, and then selected the option to run actions when you are logged out. This prompts QRecall to install your scheduler as a system daemon, which requires administrative privileges in install—and uninstall. Now that your helper is no longer pre-authorized, QRecall can't replace the daemon scheduler when you upgraded because it doesn't have the authority to uninstall the existing one. (Note that in this situation QRecall should have informed you that it needed to install the scheduler; you either clicked No in this dialog, canceled the authorization, or the re-install failed; which is another reason I'd like to look at your log.)

To fix this:

- Pre-authorized QRecall to use administrative privileges.
- Hold down the Shift+Option keys and choose File > Quit and Uninstall.
- Discard the /Library/Application Support/QRecall folder you created.
- Launch QRecall.
- Reauthorize QRecall.

At this point, you'll be running QRecall with full authorization, which you can now that you're running 1.2.0(58). If you decide to go back to running QRecall without pre-authorization, uncheck the option to run actions when logged out and then cancel QRecall's pre-authorization.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

James,

thanks for the quick answer.

James Bucanek wrote:First, please send a diagnostic report. I'd like to look at the whole log.

Sent.

since prior to 1.2.0(58) it wasn't possible to have a pre-authorized helper installed in a home folder that was on another volume.

I am quite sure that I was able to pre-authorize and that I was prompted to re-pre-authorize after each new beta in last year. (But maybe QRecall was actually only pretending to be pre-authorized - or it was possible under Snow Leopard. I switched to Lion two weeks ago)

The second, far more serious, problem is that your scheduler is the wrong version.

After I created /Library/Application Support/QRecall manually as mentioned in my original post I got no further "Scheduler version mismatched" entries.

My guess is that you pre-authorized QRecall to use administrative privileges at some point in the past, and then selected the option to run actions when you are logged out.

Yes to the former. No to the later (if I remember right)

Note that in this situation QRecall should have informed you that it needed to install the scheduler;

I'm not aware of getting any dialog related to this.

To fix this:
- Reauthorize QRecall.

I followed your steps. But Reauthorizing was not necessary after restaring QRecall (the button reads "Cancel Preauthorization")

But I noticed that /Library/Application Support/QRecall was not recreated and the log says again "Cannot create support folder". I'll send a second diagnostic report that includes the fixing attempts.

Johannes

James Bucanek

Johannes,

QRecall is still confused. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it thinks it is installed when it isn't.

Let's do a manual uninstall and try again:

- Hold down Command+Option and choose File >> Quit and Uninstall.
- Trash the ~/Library/Application Support/QRecall folder
- Trash any QRecall* items in ~/Library/Services
- Trash any com.qrecall.* items in ~/Library/LaunchAgents
- Trash the /Library/Application Support/QRecall folder
- Trash any com.qrecall.* items in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons
- Restart.

Launch QRecall. It should ask for authorization to reinstall itself. Afterwards, please send another diagnostic report.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

James Bucanek wrote:Let's do a manual uninstall and try again:

I followed your instructions

- Trash the ~/Library/Application Support/QRecall folder
- Trash any QRecall* items in ~/Library/Services
- Trash any com.qrecall.* items in ~/Library/LaunchAgents
- Trash the /Library/Application Support/QRecall folder
- Trash any com.qrecall.* items in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons

Non of these items existed!

- Restart.
Launch QRecall. It should ask for authorization to reinstall itself.

Did not ask. Going to preferences and trying to preauthorize manually did not work either.

Afterwards, please send another diagnostic report.

Sent.

Hope you can find anything ...
Johannes
James Bucanek

Download and install QRecall 1.2.0(60) alpha and let me know if that fixes things for you.

Thank you for your patience.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

James Bucanek wrote:Download and install QRecall 1.2.0(60) alpha and let me know if that fixes things for you.

Unfortunately not.
I did a drag and drop install from the dmg and started QRecall. After that the scheduler fired up the next action. So QRecall is running again. But it installed the helpers in the user's Library folder only. I was not asked to authorize nor could I do it manually from the preferences pane.
When I try the installer, it tries (and fails) to create the folder /Library/Application Support/QRecall.

I noticed a few new entries in the log. Don't know of they are related ...
I've sent a diagnostic report.

Johannes

James Bucanek

Johannes wrote:But it installed the helpers in the user's Library folder only.

That's actually correct, since your copy of QRecall isn't pre-authorized.

I was not asked to authorize

also correct

nor could I do it manually from the preferences pane.

That's not right.

When I try the installer, it tries (and fails) to create the folder /Library/Application Support/QRecall.

The installer doesn't create that folder, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I've sent a diagnostic report.

I'll take a look at it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Third time's the charm. Please download and try QRecall 1.2.0(61) alpha.

Install note: Unless you've previously uninstalled QRecall completely, use the Install QRecall application to perform the upgrade.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

James Bucanek wrote:Third time's the charm.

Charm worked

I could pre-authorize QRecall again from the preferences.
QRecallHelper has been successfully installed in /Library/Application Support/QRecall/#uid/
No complaints in the Log.

Thanks for fixing!
Johannes

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view