QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

ZFS Storage Technology RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
jeffrey luvall

Can Qrecall be used with ZFS Storage Technology formatted drives?
thanks
jeff
Adrian Chapman

I sincerely hope it does because as soon as Tenscomplement release the Gold edition of Zevo I want to use it for my mirrored drives hosting my user directories.

Adrian
James Bucanek

jeffrey luvall wrote:Can Qrecall be used with ZFS Storage Technology formatted drives?

Not at this time, unfortunately.

A few customers, and myself, have tried using QRecall on a ZFS volume using the ZEVO implementation from Ten's Compliment. QRecall uses a large number of the Core File API functions in OS X, and there seems to be some idiosyncrasies with a handful of these functions when executed on a ZEVO formatted volume—enough idiosyncrasies that QRecall won't work.

I've documented the issues that I've found and I'm working with Ten's Compliment in the hopes of resolving them and getting QRecall fully ZFS compatible.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Adrian Chapman

James

Do the problems you have encountered relate to using a Zevo formatted disk for archive storage and/or for capturing files on a Zevo formatted disk?

Adrian
jeffrey luvall

thanks, I was afraid of that. I don't think switching over to ZFS will be as easy as claimed.
James Bucanek

Adrian Chapman wrote:Do the problems you have encountered relate to using a Zevo formatted disk for archive storage and/or for capturing files on a Zevo formatted disk?

The only thing I've testing is capturing to a QRecall archive stored on a ZFS volume. I'll try capturing and restoring files on a ZFS volume when I have a chance.

jeffry luvall wrote:I don't think switching over to ZFS will be as easy as claimed.

It may not be ready for prime time just yet, but I have very high hopes for ZFS. I think it's a fantastic storage technology and I look forward to working with Ten's Complement on getting these issues ironed out.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Adrian Chapman

James Bucanek wrote:
The only thing I've testing is capturing to a QRecall archive stored on a ZFS volume. I'll try capturing and restoring files on a ZFS volume when I have a chance.

I have just tried this and ended up with a damaged archive. I have repaired the archive and run another capture and again I have a damaged index, so it looks like using QRecall and Zevo in this manner isn't viable for the time being.

I am in the process of running a capture from a Zevo volume to an hfs+ volume and I'll report back in due course. I should add that I am using the latest beta of Zevo.
Adrian Chapman

My first full capture from the Zevo volume proceeded at what seemed to be a perfectly reasonable speed and the resulting archive did not have an apparent issues as I was able to open and view it and restore files to the Desktop. However, the next incremental backup was a disaster with QRecall insisting on performing a deep file system scan at a glacial speed. Worse still, in a fairly short time all my free memory disappeared to be replaced by inactive memory.

It was worth a try but I won't be using Zevo just yet I am sorry to say.

Adrian

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view