QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Issue with daylight savings time change and existing actions. RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Steve Mayer

James,

This appears to be present in both b64 and b65.

I'd had an action created to verify my archive ever week on Monday morning at 6:00 AM PST.

This morning, the job was wanting to kick off at 7:00 AM PST according to the activity list.

I edited the action and it still said that the job would occur at 6:00 AM. Something isn't working quite right with Daylight Savings Time...

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,

Steve
James Bucanek

This should be working. I built a test program using the code that QRecall uses to calculate dates for a daily schedule, and ran it starting last week after setting my system to the PDT time zone. On the DST transition this past weekend, the absolute date (GMT) time shifted one hour, just as it should. So as far as I can tell, QRecall should be calculating the correct start time for each day.

Editing the action shouldn't make any difference. Restarting the scheduler (i.e. your computer) might make a difference, but it's not supposed to.

Steve Mayer wrote:This morning, the job was wanting to kick off at 7:00 AM PST according to the activity list.

Did it actually run at 7:00 or did it just say it was going to run at 7:00 in the actions window and/or the activity monitor window? After it ran, what time did it say it was going to run tomorrow?

I edited the action and it still said that the job would occur at 6:00 AM

Did you mean to write "7:00 AM", or did it change to the correct time?

Let me know if you need any more info.

Please send a diagnostic report.

P.S. I hate daylight savings time. I vote to abolish it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Steve Mayer

1. In the activity window, it showed that it was going to execute at 7:00AM. It had NOT run at 6:00AM as scheduled. I didn't let the action complete at that time.

2. Upon editing the action, the time shown was 6:00AM (as I'd configured it for). So even though the action was configured to run at 6:00AM, whatever part of QRecall that interprets the action appeared to think that it was supposed to execute at 7:00AM.

3. Diagnostic report was sent.

Thanks James!
James Bucanek

Steve Mayer wrote:In the activity window, it showed that it was going to execute at 7:00AM. It had NOT run at 6:00AM as scheduled.

First, thanks for the diagnostic report. The confusion is the type of schedule chosen for this action:

This particular action is, indeed, scheduled to run at 7:00 AM on March 18. Just as it was schedule to run at 6:00 AM on March 11.

The confusion occurs because an Interval Schedule doesn't change with your local time zone. It starts at a fixed point in time (in this case 6:00AM 8-Feb-2012) and then calculates exact time intervals—in this case 1 week, or 168 hours—after that time.

Since your clock shifted over the weekend, the "clock on the wall" time of the action changed from 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM, because if you waited until 6:00 on March 11 and then started a timer, waited exactly 168 hours, and then looked the clock again, it would read 7:00 on March 18.

If you want actions to run at a particular time in your local time zone, use a Daily Schedule.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Steve Mayer

Ahh! Definitely an interesting bit of information. In this case a 'week' isn't measured in relative days, but in hours. Good one to know and something that can lead to a bit of confusion for users.

Thanks,

Steve

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view