QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Email notification? RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
CaB Studios

Hi James,

Been testing QR out over the last 24hrs and I'm blown away with the speed and interface of the software. Remarkable job!

One feature which is lacking (or at least I cannot see it) is the ability to email an admin once an archive has completed.

In my previous job I used Areca, an open source bit of software which was slow compared with yours but did the job. It had the ability to email me when a job was complete and I'm kinda missing that at the moment.

Is there a chance this can be implemented?

Thanks,
another James!
James Bucanek

CaB Studios wrote:Been testing QR out over the last 24hrs and I'm blown away with the speed and interface of the software. Remarkable job!

We're pleased to hear that.

One feature which is lacking (or at least I cannot see it) is the ability to email an admin once an archive has completed.

In my previous job I used Areca, an open source bit of software which was slow compared with yours but did the job. It had the ability to email me when a job was complete and I'm kinda missing that at the moment.

Is there a chance this can be implemented?

E-mail notification isn't implemented for a number of reasons. From a technical standpoint, it's actually very awkward. The QRecall helper process runs in the background, as a root process, even while you're logged out. In this execution environment it doesn't have access to any of the built-in frameworks for sending mail messages. That means that the SMTP engine would have to be built into the process, which presents a whole new set of problems.

QRecall does offer a number of notification mechanisms, most of them focused on alerting you to any issues that may have arisen. The QRecall menu item shows you when actions are in progress. Any failure will persist in both the monitor and archive status windows, and the QRecall menu item's icon will change to make that more obvious.

QRecall is also integrated with Growl. Separate Growl messages for successful and unsuccessful completion allow you to configure success and failure notifications any way you like.

The archive status window will also alert you when no capture or verify action has run for a period of time, which covers the case where these actions aren't running at all for some reason. The status window state is persistent, so it will note problems even if those problems occurred while you were logged out.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Someone just pointed out to me that there's a couple of companion programs that extend the utility of Growl notifications. Prowl will forward Growl notifications to your iOS device.

And a new program, Bark, will redirect Growl notifications to Mountain Lion's notification center. Native Mountain Lion notification center integration is planned for an upcoming release of QRecall.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
CaB Studios

Excellent.

I'll look into Growl and Prowl.

Thanks for swift response!

James

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view