QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

QRecall and Security permissions RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Jeffrey Kane

Running the latest 2.2.12 release on Big Sur (12.3) I can't get the security permissions correct to run the program (it launches but Monitor and Status are not allowed to run, nor any backups). Despite installing, deinstalling, rebooting, restarting, etc I keep getting the error message:

Some services (Scheduler, Activity Monitor) are not responding.

I've given total disk access to QRecall, Helper, Scheduler, & Monitor and Accessibility Access to Qrecall, Helper, Scheduler, & Monitor to no avail.
Any other ideas?
Jeffrey Kane

The permissions on the files are:

ls -le [Qq][Rr]ecall*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 xxxx admin 1468842 Mar 4 2021 QRecall4.icns
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 xxxx admin 54224 Mar 4 2021 QRecallKickStart
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 xxxx admin 751264 Mar 4 2021 QRecallScheduler
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 xxxx admin 253728 Mar 4 2021 QRecallSwitchboard
lrwxr-xr-x 1 xxxx admin 46 Mar 4 2021 qrecall -> QRecallHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/QRecallHelper
-rw-r--r--@ 1 xxxx admin 32140 Mar 4 2021 qrecall.1

xattr [Qq][Rr]ecall*
QRecall Monitor.app: com.apple.quarantine
QRecall4.icns: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallHelp.help: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallHelper.app: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallKickStart: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallScheduler: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallService.service: com.apple.quarantine
QRecallSwitchboard: com.apple.quarantine
James Bucanek

Jeffery,

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Thank you for sending a diagnostic report. This helps immensely.

It appears from your report that you have relocated your home folder to a different volume. This greatly complicates the QRecall installation. Privileged executable, system daemons, XPC services, and some user agents must reside on the startup volume. For security reasons, macOS won't launch some executables if they reside on a non-startup volume.

To work around this limitation, QRecall relocates some of its components to a special system directory when the user's home folder is not on the startup volume. Specifically, it creates this path:

/Library/Application Support/QRecall/504

where "504" is the UID of the user installing QRecall.

Somehow, your installation has gone sidewise because this directory has the wrong owner:
ls -l /Library/Application Support/QRecall
drwx------ 6 505 80 192 Mar 17 19:47 504
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 19152 May 12 2018 QRecallKickStart

ls: /Library/Application Support/QRecall/504: Permission denied

The "504" directory is owned by user 505, not 504, and QRecall (running as user 504) can't see or modify the components in this directory. So the installer steps fail, and anything that is installed there won't launch.

The other problem logged is "Failed to install Privilege Elevation service", which indicates you have a mis-installed privileged helper. This sometimes happens in macOS, where you go to install a privileged service, macOS prompts for administrator's authorization, and then something goes wrong. The helper doesn't get installed, but macOS won't prompt to replace it, and you're stuck with a non-functional installation.

To rectify both of these, I would suggest the following:

• Delete these paths:
  • /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.qrecall.hoist.plist
    /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.qrecall.hoist
    /Library/Application Support/QRecall/504

• Restart your system

• Launch QRecall and let it reinstall itself again

• This will eliminate the mis-installed support folder for user 504 and manually un-install the privileged helper.

Please send a diagnostic report afterwards so I can verify the correct installation (and look for possible QRecall bugs in how your situation was handled).

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]
    hamzaarif

Jeffrey Kane wrote:Running the latest 2.2.12 release on Big Sur (12.3) I can't get the security permissions correct to run the program (it launches but Monitor and Status are not allowed to run, nor any backups). Despite installing, deinstalling, rebooting, restarting, etc I keep getting the error message:

Some services (Scheduler, Activity Monitor) are not responding.

I've given total disk access to QRecall, Helper, Scheduler, & Monitor and Accessibility Access to Qrecall, Helper, Scheduler, & Monitor to no avail.
    Any other ideas?

Without more context, it is difficult to provide specific advice. Here are a few general suggestions that might be helpful:

Double-check that you have granted the correct permissions to the correct programs. Make sure that you have granted total disk access to QRecall, Helper, Scheduler, and Monitor, and accessibility access to the same programs.

Restart your computer and try again. Sometimes a simple restart can fix issues with permissions or other system problems.

Check for updates to the programs you are using. Outdated software can sometimes cause problems, so making sure you are using the latest version can help.

Consult the documentation or support resources for the programs you are using. The developers of the programs may have additional troubleshooting tips or guidance specific to their software.

I hope these suggestions are helpful. If you continue to have issues, please provide more information about the problem you are experiencing and any error messages or other relevant details. This will help me better understand your situation and suggest more specific solutions.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
    Go to:   
    Mobile view