QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

what exactly means "Items excluded by timemachine" RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Johannes

Does QRecall exclude only the items pre-defined by Apple or are all those items that I added manually in the Time Machine preferences option excluded as well?

Johannes
James Bucanek

Johannes wrote:Does QRecall exclude only the items pre-defined by Apple or are all those items that I added manually in the Time Machine preferences option excluded as well?

When Apple introduced Time Machine, they also added an API that allows developers to designate specific items/paths that should not be backed up. These preferences are stored in a database in the operating system.

QRecall (when "Items excluded by TimeMachine" is checked) and Time Machine both use this database to determine which items should be captured/copied.

Simple test: Exclude an item in Time Machine, perform a capture, and see if that item is in the archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

Simple test: Exclude an item in Time Machine, perform a capture, and see if that item is in the archive.

It is. So the API seems to ignore the user defined exclusions. That means: I have to define (and maintain) several exclusion lists

Johannes
James Bucanek

Johannes wrote:

It is. So the API seems to ignore the user defined exclusions.

Time Machine is apparently using its own mechanism for excluding specific items from the backup, just as QRecall does (the "excluded items" option of a capture action). But both will honor a "do not backup" flag set for an individual item through the backup API.

That means: I have to define (and maintain) several exclusion lists

Currently, "excluded items" in QRecall are on a per-action basis. So if you have multiple actions that capture that same set of files, the items to exclude should be equivalent.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Johannes

James Bucanek wrote:
Currently, "excluded items" in QRecall are on a per-action basis. So if you have multiple actions that capture that same set of files, the items to exclude should be equivalent.

That was exactly the reason why I hoped that I could get a "one list for all" via Time Machine options
I guess I have to wait for the next QRecall Update ...

Johannes

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view