QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Auto mount a volume? RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Pierre von Kaenel

I use a MBP as my main machine and do backups using Tri-Backup to a Mac mini's external drives (it's my home's file server).

I've started evaluating QRecall and have one question: I've defined a backup using the assistant in which the destination is on one of the mini's drives. I had first mounted the drive so that QRecall could be told where to send the backup to when I want through the assistant's pages.

I dismounted the mini's drive and waited for QRecall's backup to begin (I set the time a few minutes into the future as a test). When the time arrived, QRecall did not mount the drive to perform the backup. Can this be done, or must I have the drive mounted before a backup can be done?
James Bucanek

Currently, the volume containing the archive must be mounted before the action is run. In fact, if you told QRecall that your archive was on a removable or network volume, the assistant will add a condition to the action to skip it if the volume isn't connected when the action runs.

I'm looking into auto-mounting the archive volume when an action runs, possibly making it a an option in the action.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Pierre von Kaenel

James Bucanek wrote:I'm looking into auto-mounting the archive volume when an action runs, possibly making it a an option in the action.

That would be great - it's a deal breaker for me otherwise. I currently use TRI-Backup, which does mount a remote volume if not already mounted, so it does a complete automated backup for me. That software does a good job, but it does require a learning curve as it's not intuitive. Your app, however, has some very interesting features that would attract me, assuming it could auto mount. I'll keep an eye out on your progress.

Why don't I mount volumes manually? This is a laptop and it moves from home to office and back each day. I have remote volumes at both locations and don't want to have to mount/unmount/mount/unmount etc. It's too easy to forget one of those mounts. Plus I have multiple remote volumes at each location used for different purposes and types of backup. (I'm very meticulous when it comes to backups.)
James Bucanek

Pierre von Kaenel wrote:Why don't I mount volumes manually? This is a laptop and it moves from home to office and back each day. I have remote volumes at both locations and don't want to have to mount/unmount/mount/unmount etc. Plus I have multiple remote volumes at each location used for different purposes and types of backup. (I'm very meticulous when it comes to backups.)

I agree completely. I have a laptop and an iMac in a similar situation.

This is on my to-do list. There are just some technical problems to work out.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Version 1.0.0(46) will now auto-mount volumes using an alias.

See the release notes for details.

Once you upgrade to 1.0.0(46) you will need to update any existing actions to use an alias record by opening the action, re-choosing the same archive, and then saving the action.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view