QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Keep deleted items permanently RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Jonathan Edwards

I'm looking to use QRecall more extensively, clever software this.

A couple of feature requests, if I may please:

Can there be an option to keep deleted items permanently? I currently have this set to '999 months'. I sometimes delete files from the source knowing I safely have a captured backup. I don't want to risk permanently deleting those items in the archive through Merge and Compact actions.

Do you have any plans to enable high resolution icon and font support for Retina Macs please?

Keep up the great work!
James Bucanek

Jonathan Edwards wrote:Can there be an option to keep deleted items permanently? I currently have this set to '999 months'. I sometimes delete files from the source knowing I safely have a captured backup. I don't want to risk permanently deleting those items in the archive through Merge and Compact actions.

Welcome Jonathan,

I do not have plans to add a setting to never remove deleted items. The original idea for the feature was not to keep deleted items forever—for fear that they would eventually consume all available archive space—but as a safety net for those "oops!" moments.

That said, 999 months is as close to "forever" as you're likely to get. It works out to 83¼ years. So my suggestion would be to set a reminder for the year 2095 and either make a copy of your current archive and start a new one, or request this feature again.

Do you have any plans to enable high resolution icon and font support for Retina Macs please?

It's on the to-do list. Hopefully, in the next major release.

Keep up the great work!

We're on it!

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jonathan Edwards

Hi James, thanks for the welcome and quick response!

Yes, I suppose this workaround already does what I'm after and that's good enough. My thinking is that I prefer total control of what gets permanently deleted by doing file pruning manually. For me, an 'Oops!' moment would be losing an already deleted file that's still in the archive by an inadvertent automated Merge or Compact action.

I look forward to non-blury text!
Jonathan Edwards

I see that changing the advanced setting QRCompactErasesExpiredDeletedItems to false prevents "deleted" items outside of the "Keep deleted items" setting from being permanently deleted by a Compact action, which is great.

Is there an equivalent setting for the Merge action please? Thus, keeping all "deleted" items whilst retaining the additional benefits of the Merge and Compact actions. A hidden alternative to a "Keep deleted items forever" option in the archive settings perhaps?

On a separate note, there appears to be a file browser bug when using the arrow keys in column view:

Left and right arrow scrolling works but the down arrow only cycles vertically through three items before jumping back to the top, despite more items being listed below. The up arrow cycles up all items but does so by selecting two items at a time.

I wonder if this is due to an incompatibility with the Macbook Pro's Retina display? That may also account for the distorted 3D Layers view I'm seeing. Changing the Automatic graphics switching preference in Energy Saver has no affect.

This is still invaluable software, thanks!
James Bucanek

Jonathan Edwards wrote:I see that changing the advanced setting QRCompactErasesExpiredDeletedItems to false prevents "deleted" items outside of the "Keep deleted items" setting from being permanently deleted by a Compact action, which is great.

Is there an equivalent setting for the Merge action please? Thus, keeping all "deleted" items whilst retaining the additional benefits of the Merge and Compact actions. A hidden alternative to a "Keep deleted items forever" option in the archive settings perhaps?

There is no "keep forever" option but, as I posted previously, you can set the keep deleted items time to 999 months, which is effectively "forever." Deleted items will be retained for 80+ years.

If you've done this, the QRCompactErasesExpiredDeletedItems setting will have no effect, because you won't have any deleted items that have expired.

On a separate note, there appears to be a file browser bug when using the arrow keys in column view:

That's a known bug.

I wonder if this is due to an incompatibility with the Macbook Pro's Retina display?

Nope. It's a quirk of how QRecall handles keyboard focus.

That may also account for the distorted 3D Layers view I'm seeing. Changing the Automatic graphics switching preference in Energy Saver has no affect.

This sounds like an unrelated issue. If you could send me some screenshots, that would be very helpful.

This is still invaluable software, thanks!

That's great to hear!

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jonathan Edwards

Fair point on the 999 months workaround, I'll stick with that.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with the keyboard focus issue in Column View. I thought I'd provide a screenshot of this issue all the same and in doing so have discovered what looks like a second bug:

"Folder 2B" is not being shown at all in this view. It was captured and resides in Folder 2, as shown in both the equivalent Icon View and List View screenshots.

Also attached are two Layers View screenshots, as requested, showing the graphics corruption.

Bizarre...

• [Thumb - Icon-List-Column-View.png]
 Filename Icon-List-Column-View.png [Disk] Download
 Description Column View Issues
 Filesize 419 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  7127 time(s)

• [Thumb - Layer-View.png]
 Filename Layer-View.png [Disk] Download
 Description Layer View Issues
 Filesize 448 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  7080 time(s)

James Bucanek

Jonathan Edwards wrote:It's good to know I'm not the only one with the keyboard focus issue in Column View. I thought I'd provide a screenshot of this issue all the same and in doing so have discovered what looks like a second bug:

"Folder 2B" is not being shown at all in this view. It was captured and resides in Folder 2, as shown in both the equivalent Icon View and List View screenshots.

That's strange. I'll look into it. A lot of the column view code is getting rewritten for the next version, so I'll see if something like this is still happening.

Also attached are two Layers View screenshots, as requested, showing the graphics corruption.

That's even stranger. It looks like the view is not being completely redrawn. Does the situation change/improve if you resize the window, particularly if you make the window smaller?

Also, please send a diagnostic report from QRecall. This will include a snapshot of your hardware configuration (particularly, your GPU).

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jonathan Edwards

The situation remains the same when the window is resized larger or smaller (see attached).

Report sent. Thanks for your help, James.
  • [Thumb - Layer-View-Window-Sizes.jpg]
 Filename Layer-View-Window-Sizes.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 243 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  7163 time(s)

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view