QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Moving user home folder; keep same QRecall archive? RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Hanno Kaiser

For the last two years or so, I kept my OSX installation on one partition ("A") and most of my user data on a separate partition ("B") on the same HD. I did not move the /Users/home folder, which remains on "A". Rather, I simply keep most of my user data on partition "B". Partition "B" has been backed up with QRecall on a regular basis and my archives go back for at least 18 months. Now I want to get rid of partition "B" and copy everything into the /User/home folder on Partition "A".

1. Can I simply point QRecall to the new location (/Users/home on "A"), add to my current archive, and not worry about the change in partitions and in the logical organization of the data file hierarchies (i.e., the folder structure)?

2. Alternatively, is it advisable to start a new archive for /Users/home on "A" right after copying over the data from "B"? In that case, will the data in the old archive (for "B") still be used for purposes of deduplication -- or will I end up with one huge archive for "B" and a new one of almost equal size for "A"?

Best,
Hanno
James Bucanek

The answer is (1). Move your files and change your QRecall capture action to start capturing your /Users/home folder. It will appear that all of the files are new, but QRecall will discover that almost all of the new data is duplicated, so very little new data will be added to the archive. The archive will now have two volumes belonging to your owner. If, at some point in the future, you decide you don't need to keep the versions from your old partition any more, you can delete the old volume from your archive.

As you guessed, (2) would create two archives of almost equal size. QRecall only de-duplicates data within the scope of a single archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Hanno Kaiser

Thank you very much for the quick response. Best, Hanno

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view