QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Does not back up all data RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Jan Sass

Should Bakup:
Drive: Mac Clients
Folder: Office 2004-Identitäten
Folder: Library
Folder: Preferences
Size: About 110 GB

Really Baked up:
Folder: Office 2004-Identitäten
Folder: Library
Size: 98 GB

It looks as if QR backed up all of the neccessary date (about 21% redundant), but when opening the data archive, i can only see two folders (my entourage plus library folder), although it consumed much more space..

so, what went wrong?
James Bucanek

Is Preferences inside Library? That is, did you try to capture ~/Library and ~/Library/Preferences?

Capturing a folder implies capturing all of the items (file and folders) that it encompasses. QRecall ignores all capture items that are contained inside another capture item.

If they weren't nested, I'd be very interested in getting a copy of your log files.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

Pref is inside Library, thanks for bringing this to my attention (im fairly new to the mac). But contents from drive: "Mac Clients" is still invisivble in the back up.. i have attached an image of how QR looks like and would attach a log if only i know where to find it..
  • [Thumb - Bild 1.png]
 Filename Bild 1.png [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  26855 time(s)

James Bucanek

I misunderstood your original post. You captured four items: A volume (Mac Clients) and three folders (Office 2004, Library, Preferences) on another volume.

Open the Owners and Volumes drawer: View > Show Owners & Volumes (Command+Option+V). Select the other volume in the drawer.

This drawer should open automatically the first time you capture multiple volumes. If it didn't, let me know.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

Yes, i have captured 3 folders on volume 1 and one drive (volume 2). When opening O&V, only the first volume (called 'MAC') is availble (two times, because of two runs?). No matter which i chose, Volume 'MAC CLIENTS' is
Also, the O&V drawer never opened automatically (maybe since there is only one single volume).

The cumulated space required by 3 folders on drive 1 is: 18GB
Space required by drive 2: 100GB
Total space required: about 120GB

Consumed Space QR displays: 95GB
QR actually create a file of: 74GB

So, i still assume, my data is in the archive, but i can not display it..
James Bucanek

This turns out to be a bug (apparently introduced by the compiler). As far as I can tell this only affects Intel Macs.

Download this inter-release version QRecall 1.0.0b44a and see if it fixes the problem.

- Drag your existing QRecall application from the Applications folder to the trash.
- Drag this application into your Applications folder.
- Launch the new version.

The bug affected the composite list of volumes for each layer, making it appear that there was only one volume in the layer. This is why you couldn't select the second volume and when you recaptured your files the capture didn't see the old files and captured everything again.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

Did so, opened my archive, got th4e message: Open failed, you should reindex or repair. (Open log), (Reindex), (Close)

I've chosen (Reindex) and got: Reindex failed, consider reindex or repair. (Open log), (Repair), (Close)

I've then chosen Repair, (x) repair to new archive which takes ages not to move the prograss bar beyond 319.700 files..

so i have now chosen to delete the backup and create a new one from scratch. i will report upon success or failure!
James Bucanek

Jan Sass wrote:Did so, opened my archive, got th4e message: Open failed, you should reindex or repair.

I'd be very interested in your log files around the time when you unsuccessfully opened, reindexed, and repaired this archive.

In my testing, this bug caused only cosmetic problems. If it is corrupting archives, I want to know how.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

i was unable to reindex or repair, because reindex almost instantly fails and repair took long only to stop in the first 5% not moving any further for hours..

You can have all of my logs, if only i knew where to find them (i can view them, but where can i save them?).. Pls advise, and i'll PM them.

So, new backup worked like a charme - thank you. BUT i would like to see the O&V Window removed or at least have an option: always show all drives. This is because i need to back up multiple drives and don't want to to switch between the "master-layers" in O&V-window. is this possible in a future release?
James Bucanek

Jan Sass wrote:You can have all of my logs, if only i knew where to find them (i can view them, but where can i save them?).. Pls advise, and i'll PM them.

Your log files are stored at (your home folder)/Library/Logs/QRecall. You might want to compress them into a ZIP archive before sending them.

So, new backup worked like a charme - thank you. BUT i would like to see the O&V Window removed or at least have an option: always show all drives. This is because i need to back up multiple drives and don't want to to switch between the "master-layers" in O&V-window. is this possible in a future release?

That would be a very difficult and there are some technical problems in doing so. But I'll add your suggestions to the wish list.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

i've zipped and mailed the to forums@..

Please treat the data according to my mail,
thanks!
Jan Sass

bad idea chosing the forums@.. i took the other!
James Bucanek

Interim release 1.0.0b45 corrects this problem.

Download and install the update by choosing QRecall > Check for updates....

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

just started QR and saw an error:
capture to .. failed due to data integrity problem. consider reindex, repair.

this was the first run after yesterdays 44a install with a clean, new backup.

i'll discard the 44a backup and create a new one using 44b. will report tomorrow!
Jan Sass

btw: where are the actions aliases stored? i have a 'cant resolve alias ...' in logs

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view