QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Lockup on drive error RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Steven M. Alper

Hey, James.

This morning I found that the little QR monitor doohickey was showing that 3 actions were awaiting completion (a capture, a compacting, and a merge). QR suffered a total lockup when launched. Based on the time set for that first action, QR likely had been stuck for about six and a half hours.

Apparently something was awry with my backup volume because any process that attempted to access it would lock up (Disk Utility, the Finder, etc.). Ultimately many apps went bad as well.

After restarting without the drive attached (and running a number of utilities on my startup disk), Disk Utility made a "minor" repair to the backup disk's Volume Header and all seems right as rain now.

I doubt that QR is at fault here, that the problem was likely at the disk level, but I'm attaching some log files for you in case QR was in fact the culprit.

Here's a part of an error log that might be of interest (or maybe not):

===== Display starts at offset 1740800 within file of length 1871872. ====

===== Use File->Reload (Cmd-R) to display more. ====
oshop 7.0(6472,0xa000ed88) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x907126a0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Adobe Photoshop 7.0(6472,0xa000ed88) malloc: *** Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x907126a0; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

(I was unable to find any appropriate system log, but I could send a crash.log for one of the first apps to go down during this process if you'd like.)

Although no other app was able to handle the situation, is there perhaps a way to design QR to exit more gracefully in such a situation?

Thanking you again, profoundly,
 Filename QRecall.log [Disk] Download
 Description QRecall.log
 Filesize 152 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  641 time(s)

Filename QRecall.crash.log [Disk] Download
 Description QRecall.crash.log
 Filesize 20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  622 time(s)

-- Steven M. Alper
James Bucanek

Steven M. Alper wrote:Although no other app was able to handle the situation, is there perhaps a way to design QR to exit more gracefully in such a situation?

Sadly, no. QRecall (like every other application) is at the mercy of the operating system. If an application makes a system call and that call fails to return, there's nothing—short of killing the process—that can be done about it.

You took the only course of action available.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view