QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Renaming Boot Volumes ? RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Steven J Gold

I usually give my internal boot volume partitions the name of the OS X version they contain.

For example, I currently have two bootable partitions on my internal hard drive: "Lion" and "Snow Leopard".

But I want to change the name "Lion" to reflect I'm really running El Capitan.

I know I can do this in Finder and nothing will break since an internal ID is used internally, not the displayed name.

But if I do this, what will be the effect on the captured Qrecall archives, both in regard to previous layers and future captures?

I thought I'd ask before potentially getting into trouble...
James Bucanek

Steven,

Unless you reformat your boot volume, or transfer your boot drive to a new drive, it won't make any difference at all. QRecall primarily identifies volume by their UUID, and unless you migrate to a new partition/drive, your UUID won't change and your volume's name is largely immaterial.

If, in the future, you do reformat or migrate your boot volume so it has a different UUID, QRecall will then try to match the volume in the archive with your boot volume using a combination of the volume's name, the date it was formatted, and its size. So if you replace your startup drive (now named El Capitan), and later want to dig back into your archive (when it was still named Yosemite) and try to restore an item, QRecall might not be sure where to restore it to. In this case, you'll have to recall the item and manually locate the original item to replace.

That's the worst case scenario.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
suker

[Avatar]

thanks for the info
[WWW]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view