QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

backing up a volume that is not always connected RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Mike M

I want to back up part of external drive A to external drive B. Neither is necessarily always connected.

I am already backing up my main drive to B, and QRecall created a strategy for me for the case that the archive is not always available. I think that it selected "Hold while archive not present."

What I would like to do is something similar, but also hold when drive A is not connected. I see there is an option called "hold when no items" or something like that. Is that what I would use?

Mike
James Bucanek

Mike,

Yes, that's one way of doing it. There are three popular methods for handing a source volume that isn't always connected:

• Add a Hold if No Capture Items condition (the one you suggested)

• This condition will allow an action to start at a scheduled time, but then hold the action until the source volume is connected. Once connected, it will start immediately.

• Add an Ignore if No Capture Items condition

• Similar to the hold version, this condition just skips the action if the source volume isn't mounted. When the scheduled time arrives, the volume will be captured if it's connected, and ignored if not.

• Use a Capture Items Volume Connects schedule

• This event schedule starts the action whenever the source volume connects. Use this schedule for volumes that are connected very infrequently or unpredicatably. The ignore and repeat property can control how frequently this action runs.

See QRecall > Help > Guide > Automation > Schedules for more details.

- QRecall Development -
    [Email]

Forum Index » General
    Go to:   
    Mobile view