QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

another "lost connection with process" RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Mike M

Hello,
I tried to create a new archive, and got "lost connection with process" during the first capture. Repeated this several times, rebooting between times, and continued to get trouble.

I sent a bug report a week ago but haven't heard back. More details are in the report.

Mike
James Bucanek

Mike,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We definitely have not received any recent diagnostic reports from you, so there could be something wrong there too.

Let's start by getting a copy of some of your log files and see if we can't figure out what's going on, or why your diagnostic reports aren't getting through.

I'm sending you a DropBox upload request. Use it to upload your recent log files (in your <home>/Library/Logs/QRecall folder) and any QRecall related .crash files you find in <home>/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports or /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Mike M

Okay, when I get upload request I will do.

In the meantime, just now I tried creating a new archive and capture strategy, with the assistant, on a different disk. You know how the last thing the assistant asks is whether you want to do a first capture right away? I declined that, and instead completed the assistant, then went to the action list, selected the capture action, and started a capture. So far it has run for 30 minutes with no error, so that's an improvement.

James Bucanek

Looking at the log files that have transferred so far, it would appear that your capture issues are due to a corrupted launch services database in combination with a bug in QRecall.

The launch services database has had a long-standing problem where requests for some metadata (icon, localized display name, and so forth) can cause the requesting application to crash. To protect against this, QRecall launches a second process (called the metadata helper) that gathers file metadata on behalf of the capture action process. The idea is that if the metadata helper crashes, the capture process can keep running.

There was a recovery bug in 2.0.7 where, depending on the timing, the capture process would still terminate abnormally if the metadata helper process crashes. This has been (knock wood) fixed in 2.0.8, which you recently updated to.

I suspect that upgrading to 2.0.8 is what allowed your capture action to continue running. However, your launch service database is still corrupted and the metadata helper is still crashing. While this is no longer fatal, it's better for all of your apps, not just QRecall, if your launch services database isn't causing crashes.

The fix for your Launch Services database is usually just to reset your database. Close all the apps you're using, open the Terminal, and execute this command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

When the command finishes (it may take a minute), immediately restart your computer.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view