QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

How do I move QRecall Actions to a new machine? RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
John C Beatty

I'm setting up a new machine from scratch (to leave accumulated glitches behind...), have installed QRecall, and would like to "recreate" the actions w/o having to re-enter them manually. Is there a file or a file I can copy over to accomplish this? It wasn't obvious to me when looking through a list of files with names including "QRecall"...

thanks.
jcb
James Bucanek

John,

Each action is stored in a .qraction document inside the ~/Library/Preferences/QRecall/Actions folder. Simply copy these from your old system (or restore them from an archive).

If you alter the contents of this folder manually, you'll need to restart the QRecallScheduler process if you want QRecall to see the changes you made immediately. A system restart is the simplest solution, but you can also Quit the scheduler using Activity Monitor / Terminal and then quit and relaunch the QRecall application.

Note: each QRecall action identifies its archive using a bookmark (the modern equivalent of a Finder alias). Moving the archive or the bookmark to a new system might break the bookmark. If that happens, update the bookmark by opening each action and reselecting its archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
John C Beatty

That does it - thanks for the prompt reply.
David Cretney

I just wanted to say thanks, this answer has helped me out too. And I have an additional question to ask.

On my new Mac, should I capture it to the same archive on an external drive or should I create a new QR Archive? I suspect that because QR doesn't duplicate data and that is a claim to fame the I should continue to capture the new MacBook to the old archive. I think this somewhat goes agains my own mild OCD but... just wanted a recommendation from James.

Thanks,
David
James Bucanek

David Cretney wrote:should I capture it to the same archive on an external drive or should I create a new QR Archive?

Your choice!

As you observed, QRecall's data de-duplication means that capturing the new volume to your existing archive won't make it much bigger because most of the new volume is a copy of what's already been captured.

The question is really, do you want to keep the history of changes from your old system? If so, then keep the archive. You'll end up with an archive that has two volumes, which you can then use the Combine Items command to stitch into a single volume so you keep an unbroken history of your files.

If you really don't need that history, proceeding with a new archive makes for a clean start.

Enjoy!

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view