QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Copying archives to new external drive RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Mike M

I use two drives, call them A and B, with three QRecall archives on each one, call them A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, and B3, with corresponding archives using the same backup strategy on each drive.

Some liquid spilled near drive A, and a little splashed on it. It seems to work, but I'm not comfortable trusting it any more and want to move the three archives A1, A2, and A3 to a third drive C before drive A fails due to possible corrosion.

First problem is that the archives are 500 GB to 1 TB each and would take 4 to 8 hours to copy, each. That means, first, I'm concerned about possible corruption during the copy -- that's a lot of data to move with zero glitches. And second my computer is often with me while I'm away from home, and it's not easy to find enough time to make the copies, taking a minimum of three overnight copies and possibly more time if any of them fail, not to mention time for verifies. Is there a way to do the copy in smaller operations -- perhaps splitting the archives and copying and verifying individual pieces before reassembling?

Second issue is that I want to make sure that QRecall is sill using the backup strategies for A1, A2, and A3 on the archives after moving to drive C. Is this just a matter of changing the archive path and name in each action?

Mike
James Bucanek

Mike,

Corruption during a single copy is highly unlikely. My advice would be to simply copy the archive(s) from A to C and then verify the archive(s) on C. Verify checks the validity of every byte of data in the archive. If any data was corrupted during the copy, verify will discover it.

I would also suggest suspending your A1 action schedule (or suspend all schedules) for the duration of the transfer.

Once the archives are copied, open any A action and change its archive location to the new archive on the C drive. Save the action. QRecall will ask if you want to relocate all other actions that use the same archive to the new location; choose "yes." Repeat for A2 and A3.

Unmount A and then un-suspend your action schedules.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view