QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Notes on six years of experience with QRecall RSS feed
Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Kenneth Roe

I?ve been using QRecall for about six years as my front-line backup utility for several MacBook Pros and iMacs. Perhaps that?s long enough that a few highlights of my experience with QRecall could be a useful post on this Forum.

I just replaced an early-2011 MacBook Pro with a 2017 version. I used QRecall to restore the 2011's newly upgraded 10.13.5 boot volume to the 2017 machine's boot volume.  I've NEVER had such an upgrade go flawlessly the way this one did using QRecall. Settings, preferences, and everything else appear to be perfectly mirrored now on the new machine (except for those that didn't exist on the old one). And QRecall?s combine command worked perfectly to stitch together the two resulting volumes in each archive so that I now have an uninterrupted backup history for that new 2017 computer going back several years.

All I did after QRecall restored everything was do a reinstall of the macOS from the recovery partition to come as close as I could to a clean macOS install without actually doing one. This is the first time I?ve not done an actual clean install of the OS and all the apps for a machine upgrade. This QRecall restore to the new machine not only was faster and completely hassle-free, but gave me a glitch-free working system with fully set preferences for the macOS and all the apps as soon as the QRecall restore was done.

Day-to-day operation of QRecall is similarly impressive. I?ve consistently found it to be the most reliable, flexible, easy-to-use, and powerful backup tool of the many I?ve used and discarded over the last 30 years. I?ve never encountered a single data error in anything I?ve restored from a QRecall backup archive.

One of our Macs is used for tight-deadline and complex technical editing for an international finance, banking, and business-development organization. QRecall?s elegant, flexible, and powerful backup-action definitions allow me to set up that machine so that it does a capture of user-defined active files every five minutes, and QRecall?s deduplication capability makes that frequent backup operation both efficient and fast, capturing only changed data, not entire files. The editor doing that complex and time-sensitive work can never lose more than five minutes of work (or less if I set it differently) under even a complete system and/or hardware crash. Even in a combined total crash of the OS and hardware, the speed, comprehensiveness, and simplicity of QRecall?s restore features means she can be back at work on another Mac right where she left off in less than 10 minutes with all her work immediately being backed up again every 5 minutes.

And then QRecall also does a user-scheduled and user-defined system backup (and a deep verification of each archive?s integrity) every night.

QRecall has been my 1st-line backup utility ever since I discovered it six years ago because of its steady reliability, the data integrity of backed-up files, its impressive and easy-to-use customization capabilities, and the equally steady and top-shelf quality of QRecall's tech support and response times when I encounter problems or things I don't understand.

My only negative experience with QRecall turned out not to be negative at all. In the early going, I got repeated capture errors, verification failures, and other such things that necessitated frequent repair of the QRecall archives and lots of calls to tech support. But as I worked through those with James, what I found was that QRecall?s refusal to permit data errors and other anomalies in the backup archives and/or processes was helping isolate and correct problems with other software, file sharing issues, and even power issues. Once those problems were resolved, QRecall stopped reporting failures, stopped needing repairs, and began functioning with the reliability described earlier in this post.

My thanks to James for all he does?both visibly and behind the scenes?to give QRecall users such a reliable, flexible, efficient, easy-to-use, highly customizable, and powerful tool, all combined with reliably error-free backups and the best tech support I've ever experienced for any software in the 30 years I?ve been using Macintosh computers.

Forum Index » Suggestions and Feedback
Go to:   
Mobile view