QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Any way to reset logs? RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Jeff Lambert

Hi, I've had a couple of warning because I had a scheduled Backup and my mac wasn't running at the time. Now I want to get rid of those warning and not see a orange circle in my menu bar QRecall icon. Is it possible to reset the logs?

On another issus, It seems that I can't backup my Home Folder anymore. I upgraded to Mojave on Monday, and since then, I get an error message saying can't backup Home Folder, and the backup takes 0 sec. I've tried reinstalling QRecall, gave it full disk access, but still it's not working. I now have deleted that action that backup to my main Archive which is for the full disk.

I thought this would be more stable than TimeMachine but I guess with TM I just didn't know when it was not working and now I know when QRecall isn't working

Please advise as to best practice and compatibility with Mojave.
James Bucanek

Jeff Lambert wrote:Hi, I've had a couple of warning because I had a scheduled Backup and my mac wasn't running at the time. Now I want to get rid of those warning and not see a orange circle in my menu bar QRecall icon. Is it possible to reset the logs?

If you're talking about the warning indicators (yellow or red signal) in the archive status window, you can silence these warnings in that same window.

(1) Open the Archive Status window from either the QRecall Monitor dock icon or menu bar item.
(2) Expand the status pane of the archive with the warning
(3) Click the action (gear) button
shortcut for 2 & 3: control/right-click anywhere in the archive's status pane
(4) Choose one of the Silence options

You can have the monitor ignore a warning forever, or only until the action that would remedy the warning has had a chance to run again.

On another issus, It seems that I can't backup my Home Folder anymore. I upgraded to Mojave on Monday, and since then, I get an error message saying can't backup Home Folder, and the backup takes 0 sec. I've tried reinstalling QRecall, gave it full disk access, but still it's not working. I now have deleted that action that backup to my main Archive which is for the full disk.

You do need to grant QRecall Full Disk Access, but it's not the file you think it is.

Open your <home folder>/Library/Application Support/QRecall folder. Inside that you'll find an executable file named "QRecallHelper". This is the binary that actually performs the capture/recall, and is the one that needs full disk access. Drag that file into the Full Disk Access category of the security preferences panel and it should start working.

Note: We're working with Apple to resolve a number of issues still outstanding with Mojave and Full Disk Access, so this isn't a done deal just yet.

I thought this would be more stable than TimeMachine but I guess with TM I just didn't know when it was not working and now I know when QRecall isn't working

I occasionally get complains about how much QRecall complains when things aren't working perfectly. But if your data is important, you need to know this stuff!

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jeff Lambert

Thanks James.

I'm not sure how to replace TimeMachine. Reading a bit more of the QRecall's help. I see I need to make a bunch of actions for each time the backup is done, like capture, rolling merge, verify and compact. If I do those 4 things every hour, it's going to be very resource hungry and I'm not sure that's a good thing. Since I already use TimeMachine, Carbon copy cloner snapshots and rotating backup every week to 4 different partition on external drive (I know, I'm obsessed with loosing any data, can you tell?) I'm using QRecall to backup my entire drive to my NAS, and wanted to do my home folder every hour but maybe it's a bit too much. What do you think?
James Bucanek

Jeff,

You might want to start with the Capture Assistant and have it implement a capture strategy, which you can then customize.

You'll most likely want to customize your capture actions. You can capture every hour, if you like, or you can add additional capture actions. Examples: I capture my home folder every hour. I also have a capture action on my server that captures my Git repositories 2 minutes after any change is detected.

The rest of the actions (merge, compact, verify) are maintenance tasks that only need to be done once a week, often less. That's why I suggest you start with the capture assistant; it will create all of the regular maintenance actions with reasonable schedules, which you can then adjust to meet your needs.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jeff Lambert

James, I tried the assistant, but there was not much there, no way to set interval backup, ambiguous choices as the destination. Thanks for the pointers on maintenance task. Since I'm backing up the whole drive every day at 2am, and I see that the assistant worked for that and scheduled the maintenance after those, would I need to put in a separate maintenance on the Home folder as well, or it will be taken care of when the whole drive is merged and compressed?

PS, when I mean ambiguous, I mean, it didn't fit my situation, so I was left to choose something that wasn't my setup. I want to backup to a network drive, but I have a Keyboard maestro macro that keeps that Network Drive always available, so, yes it's a network drive, but it could be considered like an always on external drive. Anyway, didn't mean any offence by my comment, just feedback to help improve the software.
James Bucanek

Jeff,

I agree that the assistant isn't that flexible, and is really only meant to cover very generalized solutions.

But you're on the right track: use the assistant the get a feel for what actions you need and how they are scheduled. After that, edit the daylights out of them.

The maintenance actions (merge, verify, ...) apply to everything that's in the archive, so you only need one of those. You'll probably want to fiddle with their settings, schedule, and conditions.

It's not uncommon to have multiple capture actions; either actions that capture different things or in response to different events. For example, I have three capture actions on a main development system: capture my home folder every 2 hours (ignoring changes to mail and iTunes), capture the entire volume once a day, capture important development directories 1 minute after they change.

Also note that you can attach a executable script to start or finish of any action. So if you need a special script to mount a volume (assuming it's not auto-mountable) you can write a script that will do that before the action runs. You can also have the action wait until a volume is mounted. There are lots of possibilities.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view