QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Scheduled actions interfering with running action RSS feed
Forum Index » General
David Ramsey

I had occasion today to restore my entire Mac OS user folder from a QRecall backup. As it happens I'm back from a trip and the computer's been turned off for a while, thus, many backup/verify/compress tasks have queued up.

Restoring my user folder will take a while, and the scheduled backup task tried to trigger while the restore was going on. The message that popped up said something along the line of a scheduled action needs the currently open archive, which must be closed for the action to proceed. If I didn't do anything the archive would be automatically closed in 60 seconds or so.

I don't know if this would have actually happened or not, but in any case I cancelled all the pending actions.

It seems to me that scheduled tasks should never interrupt a currently running task. If the scheduled actions had actually stopped the restore process, the backup would have then backed up a user folder that was only partially correct.
David Ramsey

I did try closing the "QRecall Monitor" application to prevent this from happening; however, closing it is impossible: that is, you can close it, but it just pops right back up.

It's possible the Monitor apps is just a monitor. However, if it's involved in actually starting scheduled actions, it sure would be nice to close it and have it stay closed.
James Bucanek

David Ramsey wrote:It seems to me that scheduled tasks should never interrupt a currently running task.

It won't. QRecall will only allow a single action to modify an archive at a time. And it doesn't matter how the action was started (manually, scheduled, from the command line, etc.)

A capture action will wait until all processes that are currently using the archive have closed it before it begins. Having the archive open in a browser window counts as one process (and is why you got that dialog). The second recall process counts as a second, and the capture action would have waited until both had finished before starting.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

David Ramsey wrote:I did try closing the "QRecall Monitor" application to prevent this from happening; however, closing it is impossible: that is, you can close it, but it just pops right back up.

In 2.1 the monitor app now appears in the dock and, more or less, acts like a regular app.

If you don't want it in the dock you can hide it (See QRecall > Preferences > Monitor, "Show in dock" setting).

However, if you hide the monitor in the dock you'll also disable the feature where QRecall will prevent your system from restarting or shutting down until all of your running QRecall actions have finished.

If you want to restore the pre-2.1 behavior, go to QRecall > Preferences > Monitor, turn off "Show in dock" and turn "Show in menu bar" back on.

It's possible the Monitor apps is just a monitor.

It is.

However, if it's involved in actually starting scheduled actions, it sure would be nice to close it and have it stay closed.

The QRecallScheduler process starts scheduled actions.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view