QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Encryption in QRecall? RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
David Nobel

O.K., I am raising the "e" word: encryption.

I keep sensitive data on my machine and have implemented various password/encryption methods to protect access to it. How can I make QRecall fit into this? I want to make sure that the data archived on the external backup drive is at least as secure as that on the main drive.

Thanks!
James Bucanek

I do plan to add encryption to QRecall (all of the archive data structures are in place to support it, it's just a matter of implementing it).

In the meantime, you might try placing your QRecall archive in an encrypted disk image. I haven't tried that here, but I think it should work.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
David Nobel

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try this and let you know how it works.
Steven Arnold

Incidentally, I backup my files using QRecall to an encrypted disk image all the time. Works great. THis is in sharp contrast to Time Machine, which does not support backing up to disk images at all, to my knowledge.
Bruce Giles

Steven Arnold wrote:Incidentally, I backup my files using QRecall to an encrypted disk image all the time. Works great. THis is in sharp contrast to Time Machine, which does not support backing up to disk images at all, to my knowledge.

It might also work (with either Time Machine or QRecall) to back up to an encrypted drive. TrueCrypt is a free, open source program that can encrypt entire drives or partitions.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

If anyone tries it, let us know if it works.
Jeffrey Fort

Just purchased. First Capture is underway. How do I make sure the Capture, to a new external HD, is encrypted?

Also, do I schedule period Captures or does in just happen automatically?

[My previous experience is with SuperDuper!, Carbonite and Time Machine]

thanks, in advance, for your help.

Findlay, Ohio
[Email] [WWW]
James Bucanek

Jeffrey Fort wrote:Just purchased. First Capture is underway.

Congratulations!

How do I make sure the Capture, to a new external HD, is encrypted?

Short answer: You encrypt an archive by installing an encryption key. Open the archive and choose Archive > Encryption > Install Encryption Key.

Long answer: See Help > QRecall Help > Guide > Advanced > Encryption.

Also, do I schedule period Captures or does in just happen automatically?

You'll want to schedule captures, merges, and other periodic maintenance. This is done by creating actions.

The easiest way to get started is to use the Capture Assistent. Choose Help > Capture Assistent and tell it that you want to create a backup strategy. Choose the archive you've already created and answer the rest of the questions.

The assistant will create a set of actions to automate QRecall. Review these actions to understand what's been set up. Later you can edit them to refine them, delete them if you don't like them, or create new ones that better fit your needs. If you really don't like the actions that were created, just delete them all and run the assistent again.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jeffrey Fort

DONE!! Thank you. I think I will rest easier having adopted Q Recall as part of my BU strategy

Findlay, Ohio
[Email] [WWW]
Ralph Strauch

I store my archives on two encrypted drives, rather than encrypted disk images, and that works fine. The drives are encrypted using disk utility and I store the passwords in the iMac keychain, so the iMac can open and mount the drive for backup, without manual intervention. One drive is always stored offsite and is fully protected while it is.

Ralph

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view