QRecallDownloadIdentity KeysForumsSupport
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Groups] Back to home page 
Messages posted by: Mike M
Forum Index » Profile for Mike M » Messages posted by Mike M
I followed your earlier advice and increased the detail level of the log. The log entry about the recall problem came back and it was about an inability to create a file and a directory. Both of them had "spotlight" in the name so I'm going to assume they were not important data. I've resolved this to my satisfaction.

I didn't know before that you can increase log detail. That's really good to know.
I found the section of the log at the point the restored finished. Maybe you can explain this.

But I'm thinking that if the recall was incomplete, then I'm missing data, and the next time QRecall captures that disk it will mark those files as deleted. In fact it already did do a capture of that disk. If I do a verify now, of course it will succeed. What I'd really like to do is verify it against the archive at the time of recall.

Mike
Actually I was recalling an external drive that has no programs on it and is not the boot drive, just data.

Strangely there was a log entry while the recall was running, but it disappeared. I thought about doing a verify before QRecall captured the external drive again, but it already did capture it again and might think the missing files are not there on purpose. Can you throw away a layer in the archive, then do a verify? Does verify tell you what files are missing/corrupted or does it just fail?

Mike
I just did a recall of an external drive that I had accidentally wiped. The final notification was something like "recall incomplete."

While the recall was in progress, there was a log entry. It showed one file that was unable to be restored, but it was trivial, like a spotlight file or some other hidden file.

But now that the recall is done, I wanted to check the log again and there's no log entry! My goal is to find out what files were not successfully recalled and just make sure there were no significant issues.
You were right! There are two copies of many of the folders. How do I resolve this?

I'm backing up folders on a drive I call B1. So there's B1/Folder1, B1/Folder2 etc.

When I look at the archive, I see two pictures of a drive labeled B1. And inside each are Folder1 and Folder2, etc.. However, there are some differences in the folders in each one. When I use the timeline to narrow the view to recent captures, only one of them shows. How can I be sure it has all the files .. and then a worse problem, how do I know which picture of "B1" is which when I go to delete the one I don't want?
Mike
I have a drive with about 950GB of large audio and video files. I back that up with QRecall, but it's on a pretty infrequent schedule and the files don't change that much. Right now the QRecall archive is 1.4 TB. When I do a compact, it says "not enough free space to do a compact" or something similar. But it's 40% bigger than the sum of the files. There may be a few 10's of GB in old layers but I can't really imagine how it gets to 1.4 TB. WAIT.. is it the redundancy? Does this sound normal?
thanks. I'm running on a compact on the other two archives. We'll see if it finishes faster.
Mike
I let my backup drive get 99% full without having done a compact in a while. I started a compact on my system drive archive. My system drive is a 500MB SSD and the archive was occupying about 1.3 TB. It ran for 50 hours without finishing. I figured it might be slow due to low space on the drive, so I stopped it, cleaned up about 300 MB of space, then restarted the compact. (At the time I stopped it, the archive was still about the same size.) It finished literally 5 minutes later, having reduced the archive to 700 MB. Does this slow behavior, followed by rapid finish once there was space, sound like something you would expect?
Thanks,
Mike
During a verify of one of my archives, it said that it failed due to a damaged or incomplete archive. I then repaired it, which succeeded. However, subsequent attempts at Verify still fail with the same message. Let me know what data you need and where to send it.
Mike
Thanks, that sounds like a perfect application... my laptop can sleep as much as possible, but wake for actions.
What I don't understand is what it means to schedule a "wake" action? Is that something registered with the operating system that will be monitored even while the laptop is asleep, and capable of waking it from sleep? Or does QRecall have no ability to wake a sleeping laptop, rather only the ability to prevent it from sleeping?

Mike
Thanks for the thorough response! One question: can QRecall wake the laptop from sleep? I mean, if the laptop went to sleep long before the scheduled action. Or will it miss actions that should have happened when it was sleeping?
I'm interested in minimizing power usage of my MacBook. It's usually plugged into power and sitting on my desk with an external monitor. I'd like it to sleep after being idle for a short time, any time of day or night that it's idle. But I'd also like it to wake for QRecall actions, any time of day or night.

I'm having trouble understanding Mac automatic sleep (I have High Sierra). I see that I can set the "power savings" settings to turn off the displays after a fixed time, say five minutes. I don't see anywhere I can tell it to sleep after a fixed idle time. There is a button that says "enable power nap"... is that the way you tell a Mac to put itself to sleep?

Second, I'd like QRecall to wake it. This seems to work (I've put "wake" as the action to take before QRecall actions). If I put the MacBook to sleep manually, it will wake up a few minutes before the schedule QRecall action. I'd like it to go to sleep afterward, but I'm hesitant to use that as a setting in my actions. I don't really want to force it to sleep, because I might be doing something else or running some other software. I'd really like to use the OS to sense idle time and put it back to sleep (or "power nap" if that's what it does).

So, can you explain how to get a Mac to automatically sleep and whether QRecall actions will always wake it (given that setting)? And what's the best way to handle trying to put it back to sleep.

Thanks,
Mike
I'd like to try a new capture strategy. Right now I have a set of about 30 actions, 15 per swapable backup drive (and they have 3 archives each, or 5 actions per archive).

I want to try a whole different way of doing this. But I don't want to erase the current actions permanently. How can I save or backup the 30 actions as a complete set?

By the way, the reason I want to change my strategy is that I want to power down my computer at night. Previously I was letting it run a lot of the actions at night. I also have learned through real use cases that I don't need my archives backed up as frequently. And finally, I've learned that I need it *not* to skip actions when the archive drive is not mounted, but to act on them as soon as the drive is connected, so I need to change that setting back to the default.

I just don't want to lose the enormous work that it took to create those 30 original actions.

Mike

Forum Index » Profile for Mike M » Messages posted by Mike M
Go to: