QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Scheduler Problem in Console Log RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Bruce Giles

James,

I'm seeing the following message every 10 seconds or so in my console log:

2/16/08 3:45:15 PM com.apple.launchd[85] (com.qrecall.scheduler) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
2/16/08 3:45:26 PM com.apple.launchd[85] (com.qrecall.scheduler) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
2/16/08 3:45:36 PM com.apple.launchd[85] (com.qrecall.scheduler) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

This is with QRecall 1.0, on a G4 iBook. The problem was evident from when I first upgraded to QRecall yesterday. At the time, I was running Leopard 10.5.1. Since then, I've upgraded to Leopard 10.5.2, gone through numerous reboots and QRecall relaunches, yet the problem persists. Any idea what's going on here?

I'm not seeing the same problem on my Intel iMac (which also received both QRecall and OS X 10.5.2 upgrades yesterday), nor on the Intel XServe (still running Tiger 10.4.10).

I'll send you the iBook's QRecall log file separately.

-- Bruce
James Bucanek

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, but I'd like to confirm that first:

Could you list the contents of the following three directories for me?
/Library/LaunchAgents/
/Library/LaunchDaemons/
~/Library/LaunchAgents/

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Bruce Giles

/Library/LaunchAgents/:

com.hp.launchurlagent.plist
com.qrecall.scheduler.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/:

com.qrecall.scheduler.kickstart.plist
QRecallscheduler501.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/:

com.qrecall.monitor.plist

James Bucanek

You can fix your problem by deleting the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/QRecallscheduler501.plist and then restarting.

It would also be a good idea to go into your Accounts system preferences pane and check your login items. If you have a login item for QRecallMonitor, delete it too.

Here's what happened:

You kept on using beta version 1.0.0(51), which I think expired sometime during the Reagan administration.

Around version 1.0.0(55), the names and locations of the scheduler's configuration files changed. Versions 1.0.0(55) through release candidate 2 included code that would look for these pre-(55) installations and delete them automatically.

But since you skipped directly from 1.0.0(51) right to the final release (which has no beta version clean-up code), you ended up with both the 1.0.0(51) and the 1.0 schedulers installed simultaneously.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Bruce Giles

James Bucanek wrote:You can fix your problem by deleting the file /Library/LaunchDaemons/QRecallscheduler501.plist and then restarting.

Yep, that fixed it.

It would also be a good idea to go into your Accounts system preferences pane and check your login items. If you have a login item for QRecallMonitor, delete it too.

I didn't have anything from QRecall there.

Here's what happened:

You kept on using beta version 1.0.0(51), which I think expired sometime during the Reagan administration.

That's possible, I suppose. Normally, I only use this iBook one day a week at most, and I don't back it up every time I use it. I probably haven't actually run QRecall on that machine in a while. But when I ran it yesterday, it told me I needed to upgrade, so I did.

Around version 1.0.0(55), the names and locations of the scheduler's configuration files changed. Versions 1.0.0(55) through release candidate 2 included code that would look for these pre-(55) installations and delete them automatically.

But since you skipped directly from 1.0.0(51) right to the final release (which has no beta version clean-up code), you ended up with both the 1.0.0(51) and the 1.0 schedulers installed simultaneously.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Which leads to another question. For those of us who have been through multiple alphas and betas, would it be a good idea to start new archives with 1.0? Or are we OK with our older archives, as long as they verify?

-Bruce
James Bucanek

Bruce Giles wrote:For those of us who have been through multiple alphas and betas, would it be a good idea to start new archives with 1.0? Or are we OK with our older archives, as long as they verify?

If the archive verifies, you're fine.

There's very little in the way of legacy data structures in the archive itself. Even if you've been using QRecall from the very beginning of the beta program.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view