QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

scheduler gone missing RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Ralph Strauch

I downloaded the beta tonight and opened it from the dmg to take a look at it and see what was different. I thought I'd wait for the release version, though, to make the switch. I ejected the dmg and tried to back up using v1.0.1 and it told me I had the wrong scheduler and needed to quit and restart to reinstall the scheduler. I did that several times without success. So then I decided just to install the beta and run from that. Now I'm getting the message that qrecall can't contact the scheduler, and restarting qrecall doesn't help. What do I have to do to reinstall the scheduler so I can use the app again?

Ralph
James Bucanek

Ralph Strauch wrote:I downloaded the beta tonight and opened it from the dmg to take a look at it and see what was different. I thought I'd wait for the release version, though, to make the switch. I ejected the dmg and tried to back up using v1.0.1 and it told me I had the wrong scheduler and needed to quit and restart to reinstall the scheduler.
The problem is that the new version installed its own scheduler as soon as you launched the application. The older version won't uninstall the newer components because that could disrupt the installation for other users.

So then I decided just to install the beta and run from that. Now I'm getting the message that qrecall can't contact the scheduler, and restarting qrecall doesn't help.
I'm not sure what's going on now, but the scheduler is probably only half installed.

Try uninstalling QRecall (hold down the Shift and Option keys and choose QRecall > Quit and Uninstall). Then relaunch QRecall and reauthorize it (QRecall > Preferences... > Authorization). If that doesn't solve the problem, toggle the "Start and run actions while logged out" option twice. This will uninstall and reinstall the scheduler. (A restart afterwards won't hurt either.)

If you're still having problems using 1.1b12, send a diagnostic report and I'll look into it (Help > Send Report...).

What do I have to do to reinstall the scheduler so I can use the app again?
As a general rule, if you want to bounce around between versions of QRecall first uninstall the currently active version (QRecall > Quit and Uninstall) then launch the new one.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Ralph Strauch

Try uninstalling QRecall (hold down the Shift and Option keys and choose QRecall > Quit and Uninstall). Then relaunch QRecall and reauthorize it (QRecall > Preferences... > Authorization).

That did it. Thanks.

Ralph
Ralph Strauch

After backing up with v1.1.0.12 the archive needed reindexing so I did that. When the process finished i got an error message telling me it had failed. Looking at the log it appears that the failure occurred early in the process, but it didn't stop the process or notify me till the end. My compressed log file is attached.

I guess the thing to do now is to repair the archive, but I'll wait on that till I hear for sure from you.

Ralph
 Filename QRecall.log.zip [Disk] Download
 Description Log ending with failed reindexing.
 Filesize 28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  663 time(s)

James Bucanek

Ralph Strauch wrote:After backing up with v1.1.0.12 the archive needed reindexing so I did that.
The message you got was a little misleading. The long version of that message would read "the names index has gotten out of synchronization with the archive because it was updated by an older version of the application that doesn't know anything about the names index. The names index has been erased. If you want to take advantage of the performance improvements provided by the names index, the archive will need to be reindexed."

When the process finished i got an error message telling me it had failed. Looking at the log it appears that the failure occurred early in the process, but it didn't stop the process or notify me till the end.
The problem that stopped the reindex occurred at the very last instant. The warning message at the beginning was because you started a reindex and then stopped it, leaving the index files completely scrambled.

My compressed log file is attached.
Next time try the new Help > Send Report... command.

I guess the thing to do now is to repair the archive, but I'll wait on that till I hear for sure from you.
Hold on for a bit, if you can. The error that you got is extremely puzzling and I'd like to do a little investigation first.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Ralph,

If you have the time, please reindex the archive with QRecall 1.1.0(lucky 13).

I expect that you'll encounter a similar problem, but this version dumps more information to the log. I'm basically trying to figure out if the problem is in your archive (any why) or if it's a subtle flaw in the reindex procedure.

To upgrade:
- Download 1.1.0(13)
- Open your Applications folder
- Drag your existing QRecall application to the trash
- Open the 1.1.0(13) disk image
- Copy the new QRecall into your Applications folder
- Launch the new version

Reindex the archive, then choose Help > Send Report... to upload your log files.

Thanks,

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Ralph,

Thanks running the reindex again and the for the diagnostic report.

The problem is a duplicate directory record. This is a subtle problem that was only recently brought to my attention by another user. The most recent versions of QRecall (version 1.1.0(7) and later) have new diagnostic code to detect and correct this situation.

My suggestion is to repair the archive. This should detect and repair the duplicate directory records. If you end up with a layer that's marked "Damaged", merge it with a subsequent valid layer to eradicate any trace of the anomaly from the archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view