QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Problems capturing to USB drive plugged into TimeCapsule RSS feed
Forum Index » General
Prion

Hi

I have a problem getting QRecall capturing to a USB drive that is plugged into a TimeCapsule. I have pre-authorized QRecall and can capture to this drive when I plug it into my MBP directly, including when logged out. However, when I plug it into the TC, the following happens:

- QRecall cannot find the archive when I try to capture to the drive connected to the TC while logged out
- when logged in, the capturing takes place normally, however, the log specifies that "Unable to read extended attribute data". This does not happen when plugging the drive directly into the MBP

Is both to be expected and can or should anything be done against it?

Thanks
Prion
James Bucanek

Prion wrote:- QRecall cannot find the archive when I try to capture to the drive connected to the TC while logged out

That's expected; OS X can't mount a network volume unless you are logged in.

A Time Machine volume appears as a networked volume. Networked volumes require a user and password to mount, which requires that either you enter the name and password via a dialog or you save the name and password on your keychain. Both of those solutions require that you be logged in.

- when logged in, the capturing takes place normally, however, the log specifies that "Unable to read extended attribute data". This does not happen when plugging the drive directly into the MBP

That message says that the operating system reported that a file or folder has extended attributes, but when QRecall tried to read them it returned an error instead. You might trying repairing the volume and see if that makes any difference.

The file that encountered the problem, the name of the extended attribute, and the error returned by the operating system are included in the details of the message. If you need help deciphering the cause or its implications, send a diagnostic report (Help > Send Report) and I'll take a look at it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Prion

Hi James,

ah, bummer, although I half expected that. Does the same hold true for the TimeCapsule itself? Never tried that one because it keeps being used for TimeMachine backups of the family's laptop.

Regarding the extended attributes I must admit I never noticed the little details slider in the upper right corner of the log window. It helps a lot to pull it all the way to the right

It reads:

xattr:com.apple.system.Security
errno: 1

There is no particular file or folder mentioned, so it seems to be a more general thing.
Can you deduce something from this?
Meanwhile I will repair the volume.
Thanks for getting back to me
Prion
James Bucanek

Prion wrote:ah, bummer, although I half expected that. Does the same hold true for the TimeCapsule itself? Never tried that one because it keeps being used for TimeMachine backups of the family's laptop.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the volumes in and connected to a TimeCapsule are accessed the same way.

Regarding the extended attributes I must admit I never noticed the little details slider in the upper right corner of the log window. It helps a lot to pull it all the way to the right

It reads:

xattr:com.apple.system.Security
errno: 1

Errno 1 is "Operation not permitted" which is pretty generic. Since QRecall is trying to read a security attribute, I assume it has something to do with the security services, but I have no idea what and I've never had that happen here.

If you send me a diagnostics report (Help > Send Report) I might be able to tell more. Let me know if repairing the volume makes any difference.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

Prion,

I received your diagnostic report. The "Unable to read extended attribute data" message occurs when QRecall tries to get the attributes of your remote volume—the volume containing the archive. QRecall uses some attributes of the archive volume to determine compatibility with advanced features.

I've never seen this happen before. I suspect that it's an idiosyncrasy of the TimeCapsule.

Anyway, it's harmless. The extended attributes of your archive volume's root directory aren't important to QRecall.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » General
Go to:   
Mobile view