QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

QRecallHelper and the Launch Services Bug RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Bruce Giles

(Continuing this from the section where I probably should have posted in the first place.)

James, I finally managed to get QRecall do to a capture of my entire hard drive. It took six or eight attempts, as it kept running into the Launch Services bug you mentioned. I wrote an AppleScript to open and close all subfoldes in a user-selected top-level folder, but that mostly didn't help, as most of the problem areas were inside packages, and the script wouldn't open package folders, so I had to do it manually.

Every time it crashed, I repaired the archive in-place (without copying to a new archive). Then I opened the "questionable" folders on my hard drive until I thought I had taken care of the problem that caused the latest crash, and then did a new capture. I now have an archive with a number of layers marked as "Unknown Zero KB -Damaged-", except for the latest layer, which is good. I'm currently merging all the layers, primarily just to see what happens. If I do a verify after that, and it checks out, then it should be safe to continue using, right? Although if I decided to toss this one out and do a fresh capture, it should work this time, since I've apparently fixed all the folders that were vulnerable to the launch services bug.

The merge just completed and I now have a single layer that looks to be good. QRecall now reports a size and a date for it, and no longer says "-Damaged-". The verify is running now. I imagine that'll take a while.

-- Bruce
James Bucanek

Bruce Giles wrote:I now have an archive with a number of layers marked as "Unknown Zero KB -Damaged-", except for the latest layer, which is good. I'm currently merging all the layers, primarily just to see what happens. If I do a verify after that, and it checks out, then it should be safe to continue using, right?

Yes. If the last layer merged is complete, the merged layer will be complete.
Although if I decided to toss this one out and do a fresh capture, it should work this time, since I've apparently fixed all the folders that were vulnerable to the launch services bug.

That's the theory. I'd be very interested to know if you find otherwise.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Bruce Giles

James Bucanek wrote:
Bruce Giles wrote:Although if I decided to toss this one out and do a fresh capture, it should work this time, since I've apparently fixed all the folders that were vulnerable to the launch services bug.

That's the theory. I'd be very interested to know if you find otherwise.

I'm doing a new hard drive backup right now. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bruce Giles

Bruce Giles wrote:I'm doing a new hard drive backup right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

It worked. Did the entire thing in one shot, no crashes.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view