QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Capture Error to SMB Share... RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
James Bucanek

Good to know, and thanks for the follow up.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James,

The same odd behavior occurred again this morning. This time, I performed a video screen capture to illustrate what is happening.

As you can see from the video...a verify action is manually launched from the Actions window...the Action window does not change at all...however, you can also see from the log window that the verify is indeed kicked-off. The monitor window never opens either, at it should.

I can continue to launch other actions from the action window with the same effect...they execute...but no Action window status and no monitor window. Also, scheduled event triggers to not work when this occurs ether...actions must be kicked-off manually.

Now, if I reboot...it may work normally or it may exhibit these same symptoms. I have noticed that...if I wait maybe 30 minutes before launching QRecall...the symptom occurs with less frequency. Could this possibly be some type of race condition...where certain QRecall processes are getting started out of order?

Very odd...but I thought I would send the video so you don't think I am hallucinating.

Thanks,

GKG
 Filename Screen Recording 2.mov [Disk] Download
 Description No description given
 Filesize 5259 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  185 time(s)

James Bucanek

I love my beta testers. I get the best bug reports, ever.

First, please send a diagnostic report. This will tell me a lot more about which processes were running and what action notifications were sent, what settings you're using, and so on.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Report sent...
James Bucanek

Gary,

I've spent some time investigating, and I have yet to reproduce the problem here.

From your log files, it looks like your activity monitor process gets launched when you log it (which it should), but for some unexplainable reason none of the other processes can communicate with it. So when you start actions, they don't appear in the activity monitor window.

In the example you posted, you later launched the QRecall application. One of the first things the application does is try to establish a connection with the activity monitor process. When that failed, it restarted and reinstalled the monitor (on the assumption that it wasn't properly installed), at which point the monitor process started to receive notifications and generally behaved itself.

Let's try uninstalling and reinstalling QRecall to see if that makes any difference. Launch QRecall. Holding down the Option+Shift keys, choose the QRecall > Quit and Uninstall command. Wait a few seconds and launch QRecall again. After re-authorizing it, see if the problem comes back.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Ok...I will give it a try...

Thanks
Gary K. Griffey

Just an update...

I performed the Quit and Uninstall and then launched the application again, authenticated, etc.

So far...no issues...

I will keep testing and let you know if I see issues...

Thanks again...

GKG
Gary K. Griffey

James,

Just an update to close the original issue in this thread. To quickly restate the issue...while QRecall was writing to an archive located on an SMB share...the archive became corrupted and could not be repaired.

After performing many additional tests trying to recreate this...I have finally discovered that this is not a QRecall issue at all.

While QRecall was performing a Compact operation to this archive...I just happened to launch VMware Fusion and a Windows virtual machine that just happens to map a network drive to the same Windows server...not the same share..but the same physical server. This was causing the SMB share on the mac to spontaneously dismount Obviously, QRecall literally had the "rug ripped out from under it"...and the archive became corrupted.

I have opened a trouble ticket with VMware on this issue. I just thought other QRecall / Fusion users should be aware of this situation...sorry for the confusion...I just never made the association until yesterday..and now I can recreate it easiliy.

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary,

Thanks so much for the thorough follow up.

I can confirm that the one thing QRecall really does not appreciate is having the volume that it's writing to spontaneously dismounted. Typically, this results in a "volume unmount" event being recorded in the log, which I can point to say "ah ha!" But I have to admit, having the mountpoint spontaneously replaced with a different volume is a new one on me.

I'm glad you found the root of the problem.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

FYI...

Just one last note on this for any QRecall / Fusion users...to prevent this spontaneous SMB disconnect...simply change you VM's network adapter from "NAT" to "Bridged" mode...

This will prevent the mac's SMB share from being forcefully terminated. Again...this is a VMware Fusion issue...and has nothing to do with QRecall.

Thanks,

GKG
Gary K. Griffey

James,

This issue has started-up once again.

I copied an existing QRecall archive to an SMB share. I can Verify it just fine...but all Capture actions fail....and the Archive must be repaired. In this case...VMWare Fusion was not running and had not been run since the system was restarted.

My belief, when we discussed this issue last December, was that it was being cause by Fusion...but I don't see how that could be the issue now.

A report was sent.

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary,

I reviewed the diagnostic report, and it's the same symptom as before. When QRecall is ready to close the archive at the end of the capture, it makes a copy of a small index file and opens the copy; except, the copy can't be found or isn't there (the error -43 you see in the log).

This could be an incompatibility with a rarely used file-duplication function which has caused QRecall to run into problems with other networked file system (including Apple's own AFS).

You could try deleting all of the .index files in the archive's package and then reindexing it. If the problem doesn't go away on its own—like it did last time—I'll take another look at a temporary solution.

I think this problem will go away once QRecall has finished transitioning away from the now-depreciated filesystem APIs in OS X, a task that's planned to be completed before the release of Mountain Lion.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James,

I tried removing all the .index files in the archive package and then re-indexing...but the re-index action fails also.

I guess I will just have to stick to storing archives on local drives until the API changes that you detailed are in place.

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:but the re-index action fails also.

That's even more bizarre. I probably don't have a solution, but I'd still like a diagnostic report that includes the failed reindex.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Report Sent...

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view