QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

No Layer Created from a Capture.... RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Gary K. Griffey

Greetings James,

I have been using QRecall for many months now without any issues. This morning, I ran a capture action to an existing archive. The capture ended ok...and stated that it had captured a small amount of data (185 KB). When I subsequently opened the archive, however, no layer was created for today's capture. The last layer shows 02/03/2013.

I have never seen this before. I have sent a report.

Thanks,

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:Greetings James,

I have been using QRecall for many months now without any issues. This morning, I ran a capture action to an existing archive. The capture ended ok...and stated that it had captured a small amount of data (185 KB). When I subsequently opened the archive, however, no layer was created for today's capture. The last layer shows 02/03/2013.

With your archive open, see if you have a View > Show All Layers command. If so, select it.

This menu command toggles between two modes: Show All Layers and Hide Unrelated Layers.

The normal mode (Hide Unrelated Layers) only displays those layers that contain data relevant to the captured items in the browser pane. As you browse through your items, the layers display will change.

If you select View > Show All Layers, the layer pane will show all of the layers in the archive regardless of what items you are looking at. Layers unrelated to the items in the browser are dimmed.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

James,

Thanks for the reply. When I toggled the switch...the layer from today was indeed visible...although dimmed as you mentioned.

My question is...why is this layer considered "unrelated to the items in the browser"?

The capture was made from a different location (network share) from where the items had been captured from before...does this explain it?

Thanks, again...

GKG
James Bucanek

Gary K. Griffey wrote:My question is...why is this layer considered "unrelated to the items in the browser"?

Excellent question!

When you are browsing items in an archive, QRecall identifies which layers contain data about those captured items. The other layers it either dims or hides (depending on your view settings).

As an example, let's say you capture your home folder in a new archive, creating a single layer. Now let's say you make some changes in iTunes (modifying items in your Music folder) and capture your home folder again.

When you open the archive and view your home folder, you'll see two layer. If you navigate into your Music folder, you'll see two layer.

If, however, you navigate into your Documents folder, QRecall will only display one layer. The second layer will be dimmed or hidden. That's because the second layer only captured items in your home and Music folders. There are no items from your Documents folder captured in the second layer.

By trimming down the layers pane to just the layers that are significant, it's easier and more productive to browse the layers. You only see the dates where the items you are looking at were captured, and if you shade layers to browse or recall earlier items, you'll be working with just those layers where something changed.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Gary K. Griffey

Ok...your explanation makes perfect sense...

I know that archives "remember" what you were browsing during the previous session...and....since the capture I performed today was from a different location entirely ...when I opened the archive, the browser was still "pointed" at a previous folder....and as such, today's layer should have been hidden....

Thanks as always...QRecall remains rock-solid and certainly one of my favorite applications!!!!!

GKG
Adrian Chapman

This is very interesting, but no matter what I do I still see all layers. Am I missing something?
James Bucanek

Adrian Chapman wrote:This is very interesting, but no matter what I do I still see all layers.

Try switching to icon or time view and drilling down into a folder that contains items that change infrequently.

The layers displayed/highlighted in the layers pane are those that contain any items visible in the browser pane. If you are in column or outline view, this will tend to encompass a lot of items.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Adrian Chapman

Thanks James, I can see it working now and what a useful feature it is. I am always learning something new about QRecall and it still wipes the floor with anything else.

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view