QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

[b32] disturbing discrepancies (false alarm) RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Ming-Li Wang

UPDATE: the following is kept for the record, but it's a false alarm (see the 3rd post below).

It's been a while since I last checked in here because QR2 betas have been doing well on my system. Or so I thought, until this morning when I checked out my system archive (the one backing up my system partition).

I can't believe what I saw: the contents of the /Applications folder is different--very different--from the real ones. Applications that have been deleted are still in there (and not marked as deleted), while some that should be there are missing.

There are 4 different types of discrepancies (screenshots below show the first two):

1. Deleted Applications still shown as active

"1Password 6", "3DGallery", "A Better File Rename 10", "Adobe Digital Editions", "Adobe Digital Editions 4.5" are all gone from my system, but QR "thinks" they are current.

2. Active applications shown as deleted

1Password is marked as deleted in QR, but in fact it's active.

(note: 1Password and "1Password 6" are the same thing, except the former is from the App Store. I bought from the App Store--a decision I regret, btw--and downloaded 1Password 6 from their website while it's in beta. Changed back to the App Store version when it's officially released.)

3. Active applications not backed up

4. Applications contents not updated

I let QR to recall the whole Applications folder to a different location and did a full binary comparison. Many files are different. The most current backup was captured earlier this morning (at 3am), and that's the one I recalled. I certainly haven't installed or updated anything since then, and some applications haven't been used for days if not weeks. MAS auto update is turned off on my system, and those applications are not running in the background.

My system is El Capitan 10.11.3.
  • [Thumb - qr.png]
 Filename qr.png [Disk] Download
 Description top of archive contents
 Filesize 150 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1308 time(s)

• [Thumb - finder.png]
 Filename finder.png [Disk] Download
 Description top of finder contents
 Filesize 31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  1269 time(s)

Ming-Li Wang

1. Forgot to say: verification turned up no error.

2. Forgot to ask: the archive is set to keep deleted items for 0 days. Why are deleted items still there after being compacted?
Ming-Li Wang

Doh! False alarm. Finally got it. Not sure since when, but QR has created another new volume for the partition. I always combine them when I see that, but was unaware of this one. Turned out I was looking at the wrong volume.

My mistake; my sincere apologies.
James Bucanek

No apology necessary. It's a common problem, and I'm still trying to design an interface that makes this situation more obvious.

Thanks for the feedback.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view