QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

One or more problems were encountered during the capture. RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Jan Sass

James,

I get this error on every newer backup; but even at highest level of detail i dont know what happened, what failed or what to do..

Can you advise?

Jan
James Bucanek

Jan Sass wrote:I get this error on every newer backup; but even at highest level of detail i dont know what happened, what failed or what to do.

If you get this message, you should also have a "Capture issues" log record that contains a summary of all of the files/folders that encountered problems, grouped by directory, and what those problems were.

Capture problems range from the annoying to the serious.

At the annoying end of the scale, you may see "no file icon" or "could not obtain display name" issues. These are cosmetic; icon data is only used to display the items in the QRecall browser; it does not affect how the item is recalled.

Some issues have a variable amount of severity. The "file length changed during capture" issue is a common one. It means that the file's content was being added to while it was being captured. For some files (log files, in particular), this is a non-event because the portion of the file that was captured doesn't change. On the other hand, if this was a database file or disk image, that error could mean the captured copy of the file is incomplete or represents an an unfinished version of the file. When it detects this situation, QRecall automatically recaptures the file (up to three times) before logging this problem.

Then there are the serious problem: Insufficient permission to read file, I/O error, and so on. In these situations, it means the file was not successfully captured and may indicate a problem with the source volume or drive.

Two notes:

First, the beta version of QRecall logs a lot more information to its log than the release version. Because it of this, it's highly likely that you'll encounter a "file length changed during capture" issue on the QRecall.log file. This can be ignored (and will likely disappear in the release version).

QRecall currently logs a "file not found" error during capture as a serious problem. This will likely change, because it just means that a file was deleted after the capture process was started but before the file could actually be captured. This is really a non-event and should simply be treated as any other deleted file.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

Where do i find the capture log?
James Bucanek

Jan Sass wrote:Where do i find the capture log?

In the QRecall application, choose Window > Log.

Find the top-level log record of the capture in question and expand the groups to expose the details.

For an increased level of detail, move the Details slider (upper right corner of the window) to the right. To decrease the detail, slide it to the left.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
James Bucanek

If you still don't see any reason why an "encountered problems" message is appearing, send a diagnostic report (Help > Send Report) and we'll look into it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

Sent Report!
James Bucanek

Jan,

Here are two examples of your capture issues.

The capture started 2016-03-08 17:30 failed to (completely) capture the following file:

/Users/xyz/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/History-journal

The problem given was "re-read past eof". This usually means that something was writing, or rewriting, that file at the moment it was being captured. (A similar error you might see is "file size changed".) If this file isn't particularly important, you can ignore this issue. If it is important, quit the Chrome browser (so the file isn't being modified) and recapture that directory.

The capture started on 2016-03-07 17:30 is a little different. It records the inability to capture a bunch of files (in the Trash), because of I/O error 2: "No such file or directory"

This is actually a bug, and has since been fixed. The capture is logging that it can't capture the file because the file has been deleted. Deleted files should just be recorded as deleted; they shouldn't cause errors to be logged.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Jan Sass

James,

Ah, alright, then i can put them mentally into "info", not "error". Alright, thank you again for the outstanding support!

Jan

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view