QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

WOL Magic Packet wakeup of backup server? RSS feed
Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Paul Mann

I am trying to get my server to be woken up by QRecall just before it is due to be used as the backup destination by QRecall

Is this possible to set a condition of sending a magic packet to a mac address, then wait, then look for the destination archive?

Thanks in advance
James Bucanek

Paul Mann wrote:Is this possible to set a condition of sending a magic packet to a mac address, then wait, then look for the destination archive?

Not in this version.

QRecall really doesn't work at the server level. It works at the filesystem level. If your server supports being woken up when a client connects to a volume or in response to a bookmark mount request, this it should "just work."

Since most dedicated file servers run all of the time, I'm going to assume that your server is another Mac that's set to go to sleep periodically. The simplest solution for that is to use the Energy Saver control panel and program it wake up a minute or two before your regularly scheduled actions.

The Energy Saver control panel only presents a UI for setting a single wake event, but OS X can actually manage an arbitrary number of scheduled power management requests. If you need more than one wake time you can do this the propeller-beanie way using the pmset command-line tool, or look for a third-party app the does the same thing.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Paul Mann

Ok thanks.

No its not a mac, but a linux server that I can sleep and wake remotely.

With the wish to save energy while its not needed I want to have the Mac (qrecall) initiate its wake from slumber, only when it was required for backup.

Can I get QRecall to issue a shell command where I could add the WOL request via a command line tool perhaps?
James Bucanek

Paul Mann wrote:Can I get QRecall to issue a shell command where I could add the WOL request via a command line tool perhaps?

That feature is planned for a future version.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Paul Mann

OK Thanks.

Forum Index » Cookbook and FAQ
Go to:   
Mobile view