QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

iMac does not switch off monitor during activities RSS feed
Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Axel Munker

I don't know if it's only me, but at my iMac (latest 27" model with 10.6.2) the screen does not black out while a capture or another activity is running. This is especially bad because it is in my bedroom and captures run at night and take several hours!
James Bucanek

Axel Munker wrote:I don't know if it's only me,

It's not just you...

QRecall sends signals to the operating system while it's working to keep the computer awake. This was done because a few early QRecall users were complaining that their computer was going to sleep in the middle of an action. I've never seen it happen here, and I suspect that it depends on certain combinations of OS and hardware. These "stay awake" messages have the unfortunate side effect of also waking up your monitor.

You can turn this feature off with an advanced QRecall setting. Close QRecall, open a Terminal window, and issue the following command:
defaults write com.qrecall.client QRRunningMakesSystemActive -boolean false

In version 1.2 I've put this option in the QRecall preferences window, making it much easier to set.
[Email]
David Cretney

I just noticed this behaviour on my late 2007 iMac. I logged in here to see whats up. Interesting to see another person with this issue.

I bought two new 2 TB drives to do full rotating offsite backups- unfortunately my SATA drive dock is USB only and the backups are taking the better part of 24h. My iMac screen has bee on the whole time. I will look at the advanced settings to see if it helps my situation.

-David

Forum Index » Problems and Bugs
Go to:   
Mobile view