QRecall Community Forum
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Top Downloads] Top Downloads   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register /  [Login] Login 

Disk Full? RSS feed
Forum Index » Beta Version
Glenn Henshaw

I am backing up ~50G incrementally to a 100G partition on a remote AirPort Disk. The previous backup was successful and the archive verified as well.

For the first backup with 1.1b7, I got the message "Disk Full Exception". I expect that this is not correct as only a few megabytes change per day.
James Bucanek

Send me your log files (you can find them in ~/Library/Logs/QRecall).

Also tell me a little bit more about the remote volume and the archive: How big is the volume, how much free space remains on the volume, and how large is the archive.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Glenn Henshaw

I've sent the log file to you directly.

The target volume is on an Airport Extreme. The partition is 120G with 39.8G free. The archive is 76.8G. The incremental changes are about 250M per day.
James Bucanek

Glenn,

Joe,

I have a theory about what the problem is. Try this and let me know what the results are.

Try this version: QRecall 1.1(9) beta

Download the disk image and open it.
Locate your existing QRecall application and drag it to the Trash.
Copy the new version to your Applications folder and launch it.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]
Glenn Henshaw

Beta 9 seems to work. I'll keep testing...
James Bucanek

Thanks for the progress report.

I suspect the problem is a file pre-allocation bug that existed in Tiger. The bug was reported and Apple fixed it in Leopard. However, the Airport Extreme is probably using a code base that predates Leopard and thus still has the bug.

QRecall used a workaround when running under Tiger that was recently disabled when running under Leopard. When the file-preallocation is being handled by the file server (the AirPort Extreme) rather than the client OS, the problem reappears.

In 1.1(9) the solution was to go back to using the workaround for Tiger even when running Leopard.

Unless you re-encounter the problem, I'll roll this change into the next release of QRecall.

- QRecall Development -
[Email]

Forum Index » Beta Version
Go to:   
Mobile view